Handmade Quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
JasonX

Handmade Quake

Post by JasonX »

Baker

Re: Handmade Quake

Post by Baker »

If "Handmade" means "handmade" then Handmade Quake is an outright fraud.

He does not make anything. He copies Quake source from the left Window and pastes it into the right window.

"Handmade" means to write the wrote from scratch a la "Handmade Hero".

* Vegan means no meat. If it contains meat, it isn't vegan.
* Fat-free means no fat.
* No salt means no salt.
* Handmade means made it yourself.

Hence, "Handmade" Quake is a fraud in any world where words have meaning and has nothing in common with Handmade Hero nor HandMadeDev.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Does that really matter? He gives a pretty good overview of the codebase, that's the idea.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

What I get from the introduction is the author intends to do something similar to an "authopsy" for educational purpose: takes on a engine subsystem (say, PVS culling), explains its objective, how things are resolved, and write some implementation code (that may or may not be the same as the original). I fail to see any wrong in his intentions.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

I just have a issue with the naming. "Handmade Quake" --- "Ah cool! It's going to be like Handmade Hero and the guy is going to rewrite it, awesome!" --- Um, no. And if not why the name? Grrrrr. :evil:

Next up: Quake 5 --- new game? Hahaha, no. It's going to be single player map for Doom 4.

/One opinion, like usual probably wrong.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Baker: the "handmade" comes from http://handmadedev.org/, not related at all to the games you mentioned apparently.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

https://handmadehero.org/

A professional game coded from scratch from nothing by a professional developer with tutorialized videos explaining what he is doing.

This is where HandMade came from, where HandMadeDev came from.

fyi