Advanced Vis Modification For Mirrors, etc.

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Advanced Vis Modification For Mirrors, etc.

Post by Baker »

Just want to create a placeholder topic for discussing this.

I want to explore on map load poking around through the visibility and finding mirrors surfaces and modifying the visibility.

Which I don't know to do yet, but am about to get my hands dirty.

I'll probably start with expanding the visibility per frame when a mirror is discovered, but I have to do this server-side too for knows what entities to sent ...
1) Which strictly speaking may be an odd situation, the server isn't normally thinking about textures in sight.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Re: Advanced Vis Modification For Mirrors, etc.

Post by qbism »

Lazarus q2 mod did this. Mirrors lag, something like ping x 2. What's the alternative but portals?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Nothing is ever allowed to be easy. :(

But I can't wait to have some free time to how I can make this work with vis maybe on map load or maybe just each frame.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

Laz mirrors look fine in SP, just the lag for player reflection. Even particles are mirrored. But out of curiosity I opened one of the reflection maps... the world geometry is actually mirrored to create the illusion. (The mirror itself is just a window.) One map has a breakable mirror. When broken, a few func_walls are triggered to make it appear as walking into a different room.

A lot of work... but think of all the spooky things that could be done! Demon-trapped-in-mirror kind of stuff.

Almost forgot - engoo has mirrors (screenspace type?) in software.