Video Tuts on Eng programming?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Cobalt

Video Tuts on Eng programming?

Post by Cobalt »

I already asked a member here via PM on making a tut on youtube etc showing how to set everything up to program with an engine src, but seems its not an interest. Would anyone here consider doing it? I have tried several times using a DP src current build and MS visual studio but its very easy to get stuck. So I think a tut might be a better way to learn.
Baker

Re: Video Tuts on Eng programming?

Post by Baker »

If you compile one engine you get close to being able to compile them all. And this is as easy as it gets ...
We are going to use FitzQuake Mark V's source code and Windows for this example as GLQuake's source code doesn't compile without many modifications.

What you need:

1. CodeBlocks + MinGW (75MB) or Visual Studio Express 2012 (5 GB). Both are free.

2. FitzQuake Mark V source code. Decompress the source.zip included.

Visual Studio Express 2012: Open Fitzquake_Visual_Studio_2012.vcxproj and press F5 [or click Build->Build Solution] to compile + run.

CodeBlocks + MinGW: Open Fitzquake_CodeBlocks.cbp and press F9 (or click Build->Build and Run).

That's it, the Mark V source compiles out-of-the-box.
The Xonotic IRC channel ( http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic )probably have many people that could help you step-by-step compile the DarkPlaces source code.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..