Removing old quake UI and replacing with custom lib

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
JasonX

Removing old quake UI and replacing with custom lib

Post by JasonX »

So, i've been thinking about removing the old quake ui code entirely and replacing it with something like imgui. I'm planning to do this on top of Darkplaces, since it seems to be a more modern base for experimenting with such stuff. However, does anyone have any idea of how the UI code communicates with the game code? Is it just executing commands in the console, like, "map blah"?
Baker

Re: Removing old quake UI and replacing with custom lib

Post by Baker »

JasonX wrote:I'm planning to do this on top of Darkplaces, since it seems to be a more modern base for experimenting with such stuff.
DarkPlaces is a good example of write-only source code.

It may make perfect sense to LordHavoc and div0, but the heavy use of macros, array lists and enumerations and the level of interdependence is similar to the expression "one does not simply walk into Mordor".
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

It would be nice, a central function that calls the UI and then executes a returned command or changes a cvar within a defined range. Instead, the UI is spread over several code modules and calls functions directly. Each menu even has it's own distinct yet redundant drawing and input functions. From that standpoint it is hard to imagine how Darkplaces (or any particular engine) could be worse than vanilla :D . But DP already can produce beautiful GUI, see Xonotic.
revelator

Post by revelator »

A lua based one could be nice :) like crazy eddies.
Was one once for quake2 though i forgot the name, it also worked for quake1 with a few modifications.
Productivity is a state of mind.