Pk3 archives protected by password in FTEQW

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Spike

Re: Pk3 archives protected by password in FTEQW

Post by Spike »

tbh its somewhat trivial to add support for zip's weak password-based encryption. I can enable it by default and get it to assume the password is 'thisispublic' if you want, if you want a different password, I'm sure you can set an appropriately named cvar in your default.cfg (inside the same zip if you want - its per-file rather than per zip, so just make sure your default.cfg isn't encrypted). of course, if they someone finds a zip that they can only read one file of, they're probably going to read it looking for a password - especially if its a cfg.
it really won't get you anything of course (hence the choice of default password), but when so much of game design appears to be social engineering it hardly seems to matter.

besides, features are features!
toneddu2000

Re: Pk3 archives protected by password in FTEQW

Post by toneddu2000 »

frag.machine wrote:I remember some security expert saying many time ago that the ammount of money/time/effort you need to invest in security varies accordingly the value of what you are trying to protect. What is the ammount of money represented by the artwork assets involved in your money ? US$100 ? US$1k ? More ? Less ?
I'm protecting the need to use those assets, otherwise I couldn't have the permission to use them, which makes them priceless! :D
frag.machine wrote:Remember, you are an indie developer. Be pragmatic. You are not swimming in money.
The implicit cost of these artwork assets imposed by your arstist are UNREASONABLE.
Yep, but again, I'm not the boss right now! :D
frag.machine wrote:Heck, I pirated Doom and Quake myself (I was a student without money back then).
Ahh..good old days!
frag.machine wrote:The best approach I ever saw so far was to shame the pirates. Make your game so good and cheap to buy that (most) people will feel bad for robbing you.
It's not 100% efficient, but you'd be surprised how effective it can be. Most people is willing to pay for a good game.
Totally agree. I'd like to launch my game with a very low price. And make a lot of assets free, together with a detailed documentation
frag.machine wrote:TL;DR: Stop spending effort in a fruitless battle against piracy.
I'm not 100% sure you got my point.
Spike wrote:tbh its somewhat trivial to add support for zip's weak password-based encryption. I can enable it by default and get it to assume the password is 'thisispublic' if you want, if you want a different password, I'm sure you can set an appropriately named cvar in your default.cfg
Whoa that'd be great! But, is it needed to be set in .cfg? Couldn't be set directly hardcoded?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine