Compiling DOS Quake?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Re: Compiling DOS Quake?

Post by Baker »

Maraakate wrote:I believe it was you who had the idea of setting players temporarily as SOLID_NOTs during respawn.
It may have been Spike that first suggested such a thing, when one time I was complaining about coop problems like spawn points.

Anyway, it's been a standard coop feature in Mark V since about October. :cool: It's all engine side, enabled by default and in coop for the first 5 seconds after you spawn you look a bit ghostly and can walk through other players and are immune to telefrags.

It would be better to have it in the QuakeC, but the engine can intervene just fine :lol: And makes it so everything is coopable.

No more worrying about "enough" spawn points.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Baker wrote:
Maraakate wrote:I believe it was you who had the idea of setting players temporarily as SOLID_NOTs during respawn.
It may have been Spike that first suggested such a thing, when one time I was complaining about coop problems like spawn points.

Anyway, it's been a standard coop feature in Mark V since about October. :cool: It's all engine side, enabled by default and in coop for the first 5 seconds after you spawn you look a bit ghostly and can walk through other players and are immune to telefrags.

It would be better to have it in the QuakeC, but the engine can intervene just fine :lol: And makes it so everything is coopable.

No more worrying about "enough" spawn points.
Can't this be entirely handled in the QuakeC side ? I mean, placing something like this just before the telefragging:

Code: Select all

if (coop) { move_self_to_a_safe_spot(); return; }
I can see the appeal of doing this in the engine side because ancient QC mods that cannot be easily changed, but otherwise this does NOT falls in that gray area of "QuakeC versus engine roles".
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

frag.machine wrote:Can't this be entirely handled in the QuakeC side ?
Let's say I want to coop --
1) Soul of Evil
2) Marcher Fortress
3) Nehahra
4) Quoth
5) Hellsmash
6) A Roman Wilderness of Pain
7) Arcane Dimensions
8) [Insert hundreds of other names here]

What good does QuakeC support get me when all of those have a custom progs.dat, most of which are closed source?

The ability to do this in QuakeC gets me nothing to coop existing works that have their own progs.dat

So my engine doesn't need to person X, Y or Z to recompile their mod to support it.

My engine just "makes it happen" by examining the progs.dat at load time and intercepting player spawning and such and adding some extra logic to the mix --- with incredible finesse I might add :lol: :lol:
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Baker wrote:
frag.machine wrote:Can't this be entirely handled in the QuakeC side ?
Let's say I want to coop --
1) Soul of Evil
2) Marcher Fortress
3) Nehahra
4) Quoth
5) Hellsmash
6) A Roman Wilderness of Pain
7) Arcane Dimensions
8) [Insert hundreds of other names here]

What good does QuakeC support get me when all of those have a custom progs.dat, most of which are closed source?

The ability to do this in QuakeC gets me nothing to coop existing works that have their own progs.dat

So my engine doesn't need to person X, Y or Z to recompile their mod to support it.

My engine just "makes it happen" by examining the progs.dat at load time and intercepting player spawning and such and adding some extra logic to the mix --- with incredible finesse I might add :lol: :lol:
I know (see the initial paragraph in my comment covering this). I am speaking of new mods (heh, "new Quake mods", OK... LOL!) or at least the ones with available source code and/or active support (SuperDuperQuake comes to mind as an example). Because the way things were showed one can think engine side is the ONLY way to go, and that's actually not true. But I digress... please carry on. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Mod side would be better, living in the QuakeC.

Obviously.