Color lights in DP

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
CocoT

Color lights in DP

Post by CocoT »

Sorry, another DP-newbie question...

Is there a way I can attach particular values to lights in my map editor for them to appear colored in DP?
If not, do I have to use .lit files to have colored lights in my maps? Are there other ways to do it?
If I do need them, how do I create .lit files?

Thanks for your patience :oops:
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Once upon a time in BSP, iirc, I merely added the field of "_color" to the light entity, and then in that would have 3 numerical values, like 150 0 25 or something of the sort. Then compiled with LordHavoc's tools and the BSP had colored light in the lightmap when ran in DP.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Thanks, scar :) I'll try that!
Entar

Post by Entar »

In GTKRadiant, for example, you select the light, hit K, and a little display will pop up so you can change the color.

As for colored lightmaps, you'll need to get a compiler that can export .lit files - hmap2 works, just do hmap2 -light mapname as your command line.

DP (and Vr2 ;)) will load colored lights as .rtlights directly from the BSP, as long as the compiler doesn't strip them out. You might not want these lights as .rtlights (just using the lightmap) so you'll need to do the .lit route if not.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Cool! Yup, it's working... I got my little blue light, I'm happy :P
In fact, it looks like some of the "natural" lighting has been stripped away in the process, but then I'll just have to work on adding some white light here and there and it should work. Thanks, guys!