Recognizing a Deathmatch/Coop mod/SP mod

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

Recognizing a Deathmatch/Coop mod/SP mod

Post by Baker »

Does anyone have any thoughts for how to recognize a standard Quake mod's intent for being deathmatch or sp, provided that they are playable by a single player (bots and such).

I will offer the examples of DMSP or Frikbot or Frogbot, all of which have the intent of "deathmatch 1" or at least "deathmatch <non-zero>" even in single player.

Part 2: In fact, is there a way to detect a bots mods?

[I do not care how involved the answer is, if I have to load up the progs and have the engine poke around in function lists or something crazy that is fine --- provided the result is reliable.]

My goal here is to do "Single Player->New Game" and have "deathmatch" set to something other than zero if such a mod is detected. I do not want to do this by gamedir name because that is a hack and not compatible with the possible development of other such mods.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spike

Re: Recognizing a Deathmatch/Coop mod/SP mod

Post by Spike »

you know the mod is deathmatch only if it has cvar_set("deathmatch", "1"); unconditionally inside worldspawn I guess. obviously that's just one indicator.. good luck with that... seriously.
r00k

Post by r00k »

I would suggest creating a Mods option, and allow the user to create profile settings for each mod. Meaning, making in game shortcuts, when creating each entry into the mod section.
it would be no different than adding servers to a server list.

Mod name : CTF
gamedir: CTF
cvar settings: deathmatch 1 etc
Baker

Post by Baker »

I might have to just accept this one as impossible.

But I'm not quite there yet ...
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..