DP vs. user folder (Windows)

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
frag.machine

DP vs. user folder (Windows)

Post by frag.machine »

I'd like to know if there's a way to configure Darkplaces to NOT USE the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\darkplaces folder, thus restoring the original behavior of reading and saving FRIK_FILE files under the <mod> folder instead. I know that this may make sense when handling data that theoretically is user-related, but in the case of FRIK_FILE this is not always the case.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Johnny Law

Re: DP vs. user folder (Windows)

Post by Johnny Law »

Try using -nohome on the command line.
Baker

Post by Baker »

frag.machine, please share more info about the "why" ... I, for one, am curious.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@Johnny Law: thanks for the tip, I'll check it later.

@Baker: I am working in a mod that builds tile-based map sectors reading info from external files, allowing for a persistent world that can be changed during gameplay (portions of the world can be destroyed, closed or opened, monsters and npcs added or removed, etc). Thus the sector data files can't be restricted to a player only (specially in the case of coop).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

> Thus the sector data files can't be restricted to a player only (specially in the case of coop).

home dir or quake dir, either way you'd need to copy it manually, so I don't see what difference it makes.
assuming you're using csqc, you're going to have to use some sort of download mechanism. stuffcmd it line-by-line from the server or whatever.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@Spike: sorry, I should've mentioned that the sector files are procedurally generated (minecraft-style), so manual copies aren't an option.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Johnny Law wrote:-nohome
:lol:

-nohome -nojoy
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube