Darkplaces - more clientcolors?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Cobalt

Darkplaces - more clientcolors?

Post by Cobalt »

I ran this by Lord Havoc a couple of years ago, but was curious if anyone else would like to see expanded colors for the clientcolors / shirt pants colors for the players? I noticed some of the shirt colors are kinda "off" in retrospect to the lagacy Quake color layout, and I think LH said more colors could be obtained, but I am not sure what it would involve coding wise. Then theres the fact the stock player model probably is stuck with that default colormap, but I could be wrong? I noticed that the .colormod feature does work on the player model, but it tints the entire model, there is no seperation for pants / shirt. Any feedback appreciated.
frag.machine

Re: Darkplaces - more clientcolors?

Post by frag.machine »

You mean like being able to set RGB values directly to shirts and pants ? Sure, although I haven't used it in my mods (mostly sp stuff) for a loooong time.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

'color 0xff0000 0x00ff00' in fte will use pure red for the upper colour, and pure green for the lower colour. This really only works because the QW protcol sends colours as strings (part of the userinfo) instead of as integers. Getting it to work with an NQ-based protocol like DP's will require additional protocol extensions (read: not gonna happen any time soon).
The practical upshot of this is that you can set both your colours as 0x000000 and then be impossible to spot when you're hiding in the shadows. Oh well. :s

You could always just use different .skin files instead.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Good idea with the skins.....the only trick is getting the scoreboard colors to match. I guess csqc probably could over-ride that?
Spike wrote:'color 0xff0000 0x00ff00' in fte will use pure red for the upper colour, and pure green for the lower colour. This really only works because the QW protcol sends colours as strings (part of the userinfo) instead of as integers. Getting it to work with an NQ-based protocol like DP's will require additional protocol extensions (read: not gonna happen any time soon).
The practical upshot of this is that you can set both your colours as 0x000000 and then be impossible to spot when you're hiding in the shadows. Oh well. :s

You could always just use different .skin files instead.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thats one possibility. I thought the stock player model's colormap was static, I guess unless you introduce a newer larger colormap than the stock colormap file that came with Quake? Is it that easy?
frag.machine wrote:You mean like being able to set RGB values directly to shirts and pants ? Sure, although I haven't used it in my mods (mostly sp stuff) for a loooong time.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

half-lifes colormap works the same as the quake guys but with rgb sliders, i believe. they have a default color that changes.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

HL is only shifting hues with two integers, topcolor and bottomcolor, on two 32 color palette ramps placed toward the end of the texture's palette. It is not the same as specified RGB values
i should not be here
r00k

Post by r00k »

ProQuake has recently added colors 14 (FULLBRIGHT RED) and 15 (FULLBRIGHT ORANGE), to bother server and clients. This is viewable on RUNEQuake & CAx practice mode.