Q3 - Supporting older protocols?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
leileilol

Q3 - Supporting older protocols?

Post by leileilol »

Around Sep 2000 there was a big protocol update that regressed a bunch of mods made before that point. Is it possible for a brute force FTEQW/DP-like way to supporting older Q3 protocols that doesn't regress anything newer?

Yes it's true that there are a few mods that maintained and added support for 1.2x protocol since, though my interest is in running some real early relics.
i should not be here
Spike

Re: Q3 - Supporting older protocols?

Post by Spike »

the ui vm has a UI_GETAPIVERSION but the others do not. if you wanted to make everything automatic, you would need to check that for 3 or so (I think it was) before starting up the server. which is kinda messy.
the other vms have no api version info, thus any incompatibilities WILL result in issues.

I don't know what the protocol changes would actually be. at a guess probably just reorganising the entity/player state structures and reordering/resizing the network representation of them. quite probably clc_move got rewritten too. wouldn't surprise me. other than those I've no idea what there is in the protocol that would be worth actually changing, its quite a simple protocol really, once you get past the huffman and bitwise stuff.
I seem to remember two variations on CG_GETGLCONFIG too, but don't recall anything more than that.
Knightmare

Post by Knightmare »

This is OT, but leileilol, you sent me a PM, but yourself have receipt of PMs turned off. Please enable it so I can reply.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

This is OT, but enabled
i should not be here