[SOLVED] QuakeSpasm compile problem

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
toneddu2000

[SOLVED] QuakeSpasm compile problem

Post by toneddu2000 »

Hi guys,
I downloaded QuakeSpasm and compilend on Linux. No problem. On Windows (with Visual Studio 2008) compiling goes smooth without even a warning but when I copy the .exe in the quake folder it yells the error message(translated from italian):
Impossible to start application correctly (0xc000007b). Click on OK button to close the application.

Why?

EDIT: Nevermind. Solved on my own. It was a really stupid move. I didn't realize that quakespasm compile only on 32bit (64bit compile doesn't even run), my quake folder had 64bit dlls instead. I just replaced 64bit dlls with 32bit ones and everything works.
Sorry to have dumped the forum with an useless question
There's anyone who succeded on compiling quakespasm on 64 bit?
Last edited by toneddu2000 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Re: QuakeSpasm compile problem

Post by frag.machine »

There's no stupid questions, actually this is the kind of problem a lot of people can find in his/her first attempt to build something from source, so posting the solution will hopefully help someone in the future. Gladly you figured out things by yourself. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks frag.machine! Do you know how to compile QuakeSpasm on 64Bit?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

TBH never tried. Maybe reckless can help you, since he's maintaining that C::B port (and now fiddling with OpenWatcom, too) ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Would require lots of porting i guess since 64 bit types != 32 bit types (example 64 bit uses long long integers while 32 bit uses long integers) could probably get it to compile pretty quickly,
but i know from experience that things can and will fuck up :P besides win 7 64 can run 32 bit executables just fine but yeah you need 32 bit dll's then.
A workaround would be to link quakespasm to the static libraries for those dll's that way you can have side by side executables.
Productivity is a state of mind.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

wow thanks frag.machine and reckless, didn't know that. I'm now curious about how LordHavoc did to enable compiling DP in 32 / 64 bit.
Just last question: in QuakeSpasm Visual Studio solution there's the switch 32/64bit compiling above the main bar. Has it been placed by VS automatically? Is it not intention of the programmer?
revelator

Post by revelator »

msvc can do both types but unless frag has ported the code for x64 compiling it most likely wont work :) but by all means try it, if it wont run you can allways switch back.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

LOL, no reckless I have nothing to do with anything QuakeSpasm. And absolutely zero experience porting anything from 32 to 64 bits :D
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

One thing (and I think I'm not the one) I ask on my knees to you quake masters: PLEASE create a thread where there's a list with all the quake engine forks(with links to original sites,if possible) and relative authors/collaborators. Because there some people like me, who played quake in'96 as a kid and then completely forgot the quake development world around quake. I everyday makes on these forums terrible figures (last year I asked Spike what was FTE because I didn't even know it!)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yes! http://quakewiki.org/wiki/Category:Engines would be the perfect place! Just start, perfectionism can happen later.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

yes, thanks Spirit, something like that
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hehe np frag could not remember who made quakespasm :) not even sure if i would take on that task (still need to get the last buggers out of my MinGW64 port of the BSP editor and its looking grim).
Maybe something for szo to tinker with ;) since hees doing a lot of work with MinGW64.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Hmm just checked the quakespasm site and its indeed ported to x64 :) so have a go at it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

heres a small present then ;) http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... z&can=2&q=

64 bit static build of the latest quakespasm enjoy :D
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

you are AWESOME!
Thanks a lot reckless!! A great present for the vacations!