DarkPlaces client server relationship

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
frag.machine

Re: DarkPlaces client server relationship

Post by frag.machine »

No. :)

NetQuake/DOSQuake is the first version of the game released by id. Its network protocol was more "single player oriented" and implemented in a kinda naive/optmistic way. Basically, it wasn't ready to deal with the high latency and significative packet loss from 90's internet (specially when people played using low bandwith connections - 56K modems or ISDN, for example). That's mostly because the game was entirely developed and tested in local area networks. Later, Carmack rewrote the network subsystem to add some support to client side prediction (to deal better with the eventual packet loss) and a more efficient protocol, using less bandwidth (not choking modem based connections when people fired nailguns, for example). This version became known as QuakeWorld.

Darkplaces was based on NetQuake, FTE/QW in QuakeWorld. Both engines are now much more sophisticated and very far from their roots in architectural terms.

Since you don't have previous knowledge from the original game architecture, it's really hard to you to see the big picture. If you really want to understand how things are in DP I'd suggest to at least start understanding the original NetQuake, and currently FitzQuake is the closest thing to it you'll find. It's reasonably well commented and have a cleaner code, and much more close to the documentation I pointed than DP, thus easier to follow. Once you figure things out in FitzQuake (at least, what files and functions are related to what subsystems), it will be (a bit) easier to find your way in DP or FTE.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Re: DarkPlaces client server relationship

Post by toneddu2000 »

You opened a world to me, frag.machine! I played quake when I was a teen and in Italy, in '96, internet was just a chimera so I never deepen the multiplayer part. Now, thanks to your detailed explanation I've a clearer picture. I just downloaded FitzQuake, and looking at the source, I already see the difference with DP. Thanks a lot, I'll start study!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine