Looking for a ... Mentor?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
ScatterBox

Looking for a ... Mentor?

Post by ScatterBox »

:)
Last edited by ScatterBox on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceriux

Re: Looking for a ... Mentor?

Post by ceriux »

sometimes a better place for information when coding something is the irc channel. also from my experience so far working with qc takes time. eventually you will be able to start writing your own stuff. look at the defs.qc a lot it has a lot of useful information. read quakes qc source like a book till you at least know what is going on some what, you'll start to remember how certain things are done.

also : http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~jeremyp/quake ... quakec.pdf
ScatterBox

Post by ScatterBox »

Thanks for the reply! This really helps!! I know it takes time, I just don't want it to. :P I will take it step by step though! :) And also I am working more on engine programming then QC, but I am also working with QC as well so this will help. Thanks!

EDIT: Wow.. I just took a look at the link you attached. That's amazing! I would have never found that lol. I can't believe I hadn't found it yet. There's a lot of stuff hiding from me i guess.
Spike

Post by Spike »

set yourself a goal which is:
a) fun (or you won't have any actual interest in trying to achieve it)
b) hard.

the harder it is, the more you'll push yourself, but don't aim too high or you'll want to slit your wrists.
visual stuff can help give a feeling of achievement that isn't really possible with backend code that simply generates a different number or two after 10 hours of work. woo... may require matricies. I hate those.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I completely agree with Spike. The harder the goal is the more you'll try to apprehend. I would suggest you to don't give up for the barriers you'll find (and you'll find them!) but just remember that knowledge is just a matter of time and will (I think is 50%/50%). Every time you learn something automatically your mind will try to reach something more difficult to apprehend and so on! I notice that some things that are trivial for me now, two years were completely mysterious. Just one thing: try to learn programming with steadyness and method (is better 45minutes per day, every day, that 6 hours just one day per week).Your mind need to get used to this stuff!
Keep Up!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
ScatterBox

Post by ScatterBox »

Thanks for all of the replys! Spike, I understand you saying that doing back end things will not quite make me feel as accomplished. So now I'm working on a simple HUD, drawn all with text string. We'll see how it goes! Thanks guys!!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Starting small is always sage advice.

For example Engoo started as an engine that tried to beat Quake into smaller memory limits and get Allegro MIDI working in DOS. I didn't know much about how the drawing worked, so it was just a simple engine for a very niche need, like "486 plz" need. It wasn't going to be a graphic heavy engine. This was 2009. I did not have any ambitious plans for it back then.

Fast forward to 2010 it turned into an overwhelming colored light software rendered graphic feature-filled still-256-colors feature-creep monstrosity. Quite the learning experience....
i should not be here