Multi-platform software quake, with increased map limits?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
JasonX

Multi-platform software quake, with increased map limits?

Post by JasonX »

What's the best engine around to play in various platforms the latest maps with extended limits? Engoo?
leileilol

Re: Multi-platform software quake, with increased map limits

Post by leileilol »

haha, if multiplatform means dos and windows
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I'd suggest you pick 1 engine for windows, one for linux (maybe something for OSX too if you care to please the apple fans) and call it a day.
Anything else supporting any other OS will hardly support really big maps.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:haha, if multiplatform means dos and windows
I'd bet I could run engoo in a OS/2 DOS box too, so you can count it as "multi-platform".
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Baker

Post by Baker »

DOS Box works on every platform, so Engoo's DOS version is the most multiplatform engine of them all.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Doesn't ProQuake support software-mode?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Baker wrote:DOS Box works on every platform, so Engoo's DOS version is the most multiplatform engine of them all.
That's a stupid misinforming claim.
Last edited by leileilol on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

JasonX wrote:Doesn't ProQuake support software-mode?
The Mac 446 version hanging around in the older sources did [software + bigmaps]. I have no reason to believe it does anything that qbismsuper8, engoo or mk's one doesn't do.

Keep in mind that aguirre's Enhanced Quake (GLQuake and WinQuake) http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/ has supported very big maps for years. 7 years or maybe even 8 years now.

Multiplatform is just dealing with video setup, input, keyboard, gamma ... none the less, all of that stuff is a major pain.
leileilol wrote:
Baker wrote:DOS Box works on every platform, so Engoo's DOS version is the most multiplatform engine of them all.
That's a stupid misinforming claim.
It was funney and kinda accurate while kinda inaccurate at the same time. But it was fun to post and made me laugh and the prank is for the enjoyment of prankster. :D

Besides, who is looking to say ... yeah my engine runs on your platform but you need DOSBox. :mrgreen:
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I'm not, and i don't appreciate any of the brownnosing, thread necromancing, generally creepy behavior you have obsessing about me. It's like I can't have an enjoyable hobby anymore without this.

If you're looking to drive me away, then you're doing it.
i should not be here
Baker

Post by Baker »

leileilol wrote:I'm not, and i don't appreciate any of the brownnosing, thread necromancing, generally creepy behavior you have obsessing about me. It's like I can't have an enjoyable hobby anymore without this.

If you're looking to drive me away, then you're doing it.
I'm here because I'm interested in Quake engine modification.

I also have a sense of humor. If this bothers you, so be it.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

Old FTEQW builds before they dropped the software renderer, maybe?

Also, TyrQuake.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Baker wrote:[software + bigmaps]. I have no reason to believe it does anything that qbismsuper8, engoo or mk's one doesn't do.
Makaqu doesn't support big maps yet. The next version probably will, but it should take some months before it's released.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube