Possible Darkplaces bug ?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Cobalt

Re: Possible Darkplaces bug ?

Post by Cobalt »

Jitspoes fix works?

I know you also had a setorigin fractional change type fix which also worked........but in the rare rare rare case the new setorigin places an otherwise good item ON a seam.....
LordHavoc wrote:I'm actually doing a deep audit on all the collision code to improve the use of clip epsilons, I've got the lightmap fix integrated too, it's just not committed yet.

Expect an update in a few days.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

New DarkPlaces build posted, has a variant of jitspoe's lighting fix, and a bunch of collision fixes, and a fix for the bugs in r_useportalculling that occasionally caused a black screen.

jitspoe - I had to fix the bounds checking on dsi/dti to be no more than lmwidth-2 because otherwise it could read out of bounds when sampling right at the edge, which USUALLY won't crash but I wouldn't count on it, so it willl interpolate right up to the edge but won't fetch past it.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

LordHavoc wrote:New DarkPlaces build posted, has a variant of jitspoe's lighting fix, and a bunch of collision fixes, and a fix for the bugs in r_useportalculling that occasionally caused a black screen.
Yay! Thanks LH! I'll check it when back at home!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

On the black screen fix - I noticed that with this new version I am getting something like a black screen when I respawn occasionally on a non-DP (legacy) type multiplayer Quake server. Its more reminiscent of what you would see if your player size was a little smaller, and you touch a wall - you can see other areas of the map, and the items and effects etc. Its not all the time, and it seems to be when there is alot of network traffic, but not 100% sure.

As soon as I change the mouse angles, it reverts back to normal

LordHavoc wrote:New DarkPlaces build posted, has a variant of jitspoe's lighting fix, and a bunch of collision fixes, and a fix for the bugs in r_useportalculling that occasionally caused a black screen.

jitspoe - I had to fix the bounds checking on dsi/dti to be no more than lmwidth-2 because otherwise it could read out of bounds when sampling right at the edge, which USUALLY won't crash but I wouldn't count on it, so it willl interpolate right up to the edge but won't fetch past it.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Cobalt wrote:On the black screen fix - I noticed that with this new version I am getting something like a black screen when I respawn occasionally on a non-DP (legacy) type multiplayer Quake server. Its more reminiscent of what you would see if your player size was a little smaller, and you touch a wall - you can see other areas of the map, and the items and effects etc. Its not all the time, and it seems to be when there is alot of network traffic, but not 100% sure.

As soon as I change the mouse angles, it reverts back to normal

Hello Cobalt,

I noticed the "occasionally black screen" bug, which was introduced with beta build 20140304, and informed LH about it some days later.
You can reproduce the bug by starting E4M5 (single player) and do not move your mouse or player when map is started: Your screen is always black. Move the player a little and its gone.
LH told me to change cvar r_useportalculling from default '2' to 0 or 1. That fixed it.
Since "stable" build 20140507 he fixed the bug in his engine (also in default '2' cvar setting).

Funny thing about this cvar r_useportalculling is, that when you read the description of it via 'apropos r_useportalculling' (or in .c file directly), it says that its default is not '2' due to a special reason, but its default is still '2'...
So I recommend you switch this cvar to 0 or 1. It hopefully fixes the issues you are experiencing now.
I have set it to 1 and never experienced the issue again (1 should be default in my opinion).

Best of luck.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Seven:

Thank you for that info, so far I have not seen the problem setting it to 1 like you say. I tried E4M5, I am guessing in coop mode? Was unable to see the black screen in either 64 or 32 bit versions, so perhaps the issue is more graphics interface specific....or oither cvars play a role.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that now all of a sudden, my issue where the Armor shown in my picture on DM4 is again not lighting up...which is very strange. Even with the new build of Darkplaces, and I have tried removing the .lit file to no help.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Hi
Just a quick note to say that the newest build 13052104 is showing a lot of "flickering" brushes, they'll disappear as you move round the map, it's worse with flickering lights near the brushes, but doesn't happen only with them. Went back to the previous build and it went away.
Happy to supply more info if needed
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Is this when perhaps 2 non solid models happen to share some of the same space?

Can you post a demo?
ajay wrote:Hi
Just a quick note to say that the newest build 13052104 is showing a lot of "flickering" brushes, they'll disappear as you move round the map, it's worse with flickering lights near the brushes, but doesn't happen only with them. Went back to the previous build and it went away.
Happy to supply more info if needed