online server demo.

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
r00k

online server demo.

Post by r00k »

This might seem silly, or might already be available with QTV.
But I was wondering how possible would it be for a server to play a demo and allow clients to connect to only spectate while watching the demo.
This could be an interesting surge of people connecting and at least loading up an engine and talking.
An excuse to install the game and play ;)
r00k

online server demo.

Post by r00k »

This might seem silly, or might already be available with QTV.
But I was wondering how possible would it be for a server to play a demo and allow clients to connect to only spectate while watching the demo.
This could later be added to a quakeC interface for demo selection.
hmm just wanted to document this idea so i dont forget about it later.. ;)

hmm could even support mods like nehahra...
Spirit

Re: online server demo.

Post by Spirit »

I merged a duplicate topic post.

I am 99% sure QTV can do this. At least I remember talk about this and I am very sure it was possible with something.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Spike

Re: online server demo.

Post by Spike »

QTV can play .mvd files (the server->proxy->proxy protocol is basically just mvd-over-tcp).
It cannot fastforward/rewind/pause them, mostly due to concerns about who owns the stream, though I'm sure there would be some sync issues too.
Viewers will often miss the first part of the demo as a result.
It cannot play .dem or .qwd files.

Older versions of FTE were able to play mvds on the server (much of it was effectively treated as merely a series of writebytes, which FTE already translates for gamecode/protocol compatibility). Demo playback combined with QC still running resulted in some very weird situations, and the feature has been disabled for quite some time now.