feature request: independent viewmodels

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
frag.machine

feature request: independent viewmodels

Post by frag.machine »

Is there an engine that support this (say, independent left and right hands/arms) ? Even if by (ugh) CSQC ?
Darkplaces ? FTE ?
Anyone ?
Bueller ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
r00k

Re: feature request: independent viewmodels

Post by r00k »

Do you mean like a cvar to show it in either hand? Or dual weapons and dual sbar? This could be done in ss_ QuakeC...
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Darkplaces and FTE have implementations of viewmodeltoclient (allowing to treat any entity as an independent viewmodel). Also, little known software port GoldQuake supported this. Engoo has this support sort of, but it's a define that crashes.
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:Darkplaces and FTE have implementations of viewmodeltoclient (allowing to treat any entity as an independent viewmodel).
Ahh, so that's what viewmodeltoclient is used for ? Nice!

I'll search for examples and/or tutorials. Thanks leileilol!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

r00k wrote:Do you mean like a cvar to show it in either hand? Or dual weapons and dual sbar? This could be done in ss_ QuakeC...
Imagine for example if the player could equip different sets of swords/broadswords/axes/clubs/morning stars and shields, and you could have independent models and animations for both arms (think Skyrim/Oblivion style melee combat).

In QuakeC terms, I was thinking about something in the line of

Code: Select all

.string lvwepmodel;
.string rvwepmodel;
.float lvwepframe;
.float rvwepframe;
I'll check leileilol's suggestion of viewmodeltoclient support on Darkplaces.
Spike

Post by Spike »

with (pure) csqc, a viewmodel is simply just another entity. if you want two of them, you can just add two of them to the scene.
the ssqc viewmodeltoclient feature is basically the same, and attaches the entity to the view rather than floating free through the world.
either way, separate entity fields with separate modelindex/frame/origin/skin/colormap/colormod/etc rather than special fields on the player entity and hacking different clientside cvars.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Thanks for the explanation Spike, it indeed seems the more reasonable way to go.