I started updating an old project of mine, demonquake. So far i have applied every fix found over the years to the code and it runs pretty well.
Its a bit old school originally based on joequake with a few additions by myself like flares and a rather elaborate fog system.
It uses immediate mode opengl atm, but i intend to move things to VBO's and also incorporate MH's normalmapping since it looks great.
The engine is fully nehahra compatible and allready looks pretty nice with that mod
but theres still some work to do like a customized HD menu tailored towards
that particular mod.
Particle system is an abreviation of QMB's, in time i will add decals to it for some better blood and explosion effects. Ill probably use MH's texture manager for this cause it can load particle and decal images from resource which would be nice as a baseline. Atm the engine uses the old way of having its resources in a seperate dir.
I allready had md2 and md3 model support in the code but i removed it again for the time being (to much hackery needed to support them if i want the same effects to apply everywhere) i might add in the new skeletal model format from remakequake as well as bsp2 (nehahra would probably be a nice candidate for getting an update to those formats).
So what can it do as it is ?.
Flares on light entities.
lame script support (rather minimal im afraid, but ill look into what can be done with it).
hardcoded texture effects like glass surfaces detail texturing and shiny metal objects (looks ok but the code ... yuck).
arb shaded liquids (beefquake).
luma and fullbrigths.
underwater warp and caustics.
qc controlable world and liquid fog.
qc controlable fullbrights and alpha.
dynamic lights on moving brush models.
stair step ups.
surface culling, uses code from MH to get all surfs min/max values to construct a bounding box to cull against.
vector based color shifts.
framerate independant colorshifts.
loads of mistakes pointed out by PVS studio.
Productivity is a state of mind.