Quake 1 Engine Coding

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
flockhound

Quake 1 Engine Coding

Post by flockhound »

I intend on writing an engine (for an FPS) and want to know a few things, please:

*1 - Is Quake 1 the simplest code to wade through? (I'm okay at C)

*2 - Since I'm going to be heavily modfying the code (say, Valve) then do you think I'm going to need a copy of Quake along the way? I know you need Quake to mod the engine. But I'm not modding. If not, then I'll have to write my own program to utilize the engine?

*3 - If 1 is a "no" then which id engine should I use?

I'm also using Bloodshed's awesome Dev-C IDE. Is that good for Q1 engine programming?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

for #2 you can try Open Quartz. Corny as hell but it's better than nothing.
i should not be here
LordHavoc

Re: Quake 1 Engine Coding

Post by LordHavoc »

flockhound wrote:I intend on writing an engine (for an FPS) and want to know a few things, please:

*1 - Is Quake 1 the simplest code to wade through? (I'm okay at C)
*2 - Since I'm going to be heavily modfying the code (say, Valve) then do you think I'm going to need a copy of Quake along the way? I know you need Quake to mod the engine. But I'm not modding. If not, then I'll have to write my own program to utilize the engine?

*3 - If 1 is a "no" then which id engine should I use?
Mentioning Valve on this forum is considered vulgar :)

Quake 1 engine code is pretty easy to read, and the id1 gamecode is very easy to read.
Quake 2 engine code is easy to read, but the baseq2 gamecode is pretty bad.
Quake 3 engine code is a bit challenging, and the baseq3 gamecode is pretty bad.

If I may ask, why base on an id engine, and for that matter why make a new engine? Why not use an existing enhanced engine like DarkPlaces if considering Quake1?

Sorry to say I don't understand your goals.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

[17:16] <FrikaC> "Since I'm going to be heavily modfying the code (say, Valve)"
[17:16] <FrikaC> I'd rather not say Valve
[17:16] <FrikaC> it makes a funny taste in my mouth
[17:17] <FrikaC> kinda like vomit
flockhound

Post by flockhound »

Ooo, sorry 'bout the...uh..."V" word. :)

I'd just like to develop my own engine (with a cousin actually). I don't know much about making an engine, and since the Quake 1 engine is open source, why not? As I develop the better engine I'll learn a lot about engine programming. Stuff on hierarchies and BSP stuff (Quake 1 uses BSP, right?) Either way, I'm a fan of Quake 2's solid game design.

I'm not using an enhanced engine for some of the reasons above. Now, I'll probably look and see how they made their modifications (no, I'm not copying) but I won't use them. It's sort of a "It's my baby and I programmed it" situation...
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

flockhound wrote:Ooo, sorry 'bout the...uh..."V" word. :)

I'd just like to develop my own engine (with a cousin actually). I don't know much about making an engine, and since the Quake 1 engine is open source, why not? As I develop the better engine I'll learn a lot about engine programming. Stuff on hierarchies and BSP stuff (Quake 1 uses BSP, right?) Either way, I'm a fan of Quake 2's solid game design.

I'm not using an enhanced engine for some of the reasons above. Now, I'll probably look and see how they made their modifications (no, I'm not copying) but I won't use them. It's sort of a "It's my baby and I programmed it" situation...
Same boat a lot of Quake engine coders are in :)

Have fun with it :)

A tip: besides these forums you can also usually get some meaningful discussion going in the channels #quakedev and #venr2 (Entar's Vengeance r2 engine channel) on irc.anynet.org, and #darkplaces also but that's a bit more modder oriented, a little less engine discussion (except when I'm talkative, I guess).
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

yay modders invaded #darkplaces
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

FrikaC wrote:yay modders invaded #darkplaces
moddbers more like, transformed it into a new #moddb or so sucking all the solemn discussion out and having the crap joke fun in , with names highlighted and alerted only for unimportant purposes :\
i should not be here
flockhound

Post by flockhound »

So, should I use Dev-C or Visual 6.0? If Visual 6.0, then which edition do you think would be best?