qbismSuper8 builds

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
qbism

Post by qbism »

mrmmaclean wrote:When compiling for Flash with Adobe Alchemy and cygwin, and using the SVN of version 0020 I get a few errors:

host.c:913: error: implicit declaration of function 'BuildGammaTable'

Thanks, and great to hear of work with the Flash version. And if any other bugs are discovered or solved, please continue to share... The "Flash Quake 1" subset community is likely small. :D I haven't compiled for Flash in a while, keep getting sidetracked, currently by "trashed sentinel" when respawning in Unforgiven1. By my intent is a Flash Marcher demo with the 300 palette to test new stuff.
leileilol wrote:I had this same feature half-assed in Engoo (GRATE MINDS THINK ALIKE I THINK)"
I thieved much palette code from Engoo, that and Qlumpy.
reckless wrote:depends a bit which compiler and which flags you passed the compiler :)
Maybe a flag to silence gcc on this issue, but yes, better to go ahead and prototype. Flash Alchemy is bound to Cygwin compiler and a particular version of LVM. Adobe hasn't updated Alchemy since 2008 but is using newer version of tech for Android and iOS I have read. But Alchemy does work with newer Cygwin versions.
mrmmaclean

Post by mrmmaclean »

reckless wrote:depends a bit which compiler and which flags you passed the compiler :)
Compiling with Adobe Alchemy for generating a flash .swc leaves only one option per OS basically... :x For Windows, it's command-line in Cygwin using an Adobe Alchemy patched gcc. I'm sure I could learn more and write some ant script to compile with VC or something, but if it ain't broke...

And qbism, I've been following your fine work for some time and I finally have some time to play around with your code base again! I'll be sure to keep you updated on my dabblings. I can't wait for new features as I am never disappointed!

edit: probably should have finished reading the thread before saying the exact same thing qbism said about compiling... either way, I just prototyped the problem functions in quakedef.h and it compiled fine!
qbism

Post by qbism »

New build http://qbism.com/nexus/wp-content/uploa ... 8_0026.zip
More error checking (from bjp) and developer mode messages that are useful for big maps. Also a handy console input history that saves a txt file (from Baker tute).

I cleaned-up most of the Flash build, then my environment broke. Possibly issue with new Cygwin updates. Probably still just missing a few prototypes.

I played Arcanum and Unforgiven some, seems to be OK. Give these a try.
qbism

Re: qbismSuper8 builds

Post by qbism »

This build of Super8 appears to fix all the major bugs... that I know of... Download: qbismS8_0036

Directional dynamic lighting of models looks better now because ambient light is added. (Set console variable r_light_style to 1.) Models blend more believably into scene.

Other changes:
Change defaults- r_light_style 1, sbar 2, sbar_show_bg 0.
Check to prevent sending server info twice.
Unwound some internal protocol changes to fix the imp fireball bug, whoo-hoo! Merge w/ previous build so affects many files...
Reset palette between map loads, prevents carry-over of custom palettes.
Added SV_LocalSound / PF_localsound from Timefrag. Sound to single client. Untested
Load palette matching map name, if there is one.
Get the Flash build caught-up to recent changes
Fix gamma table forgetfulness
qbism

Post by qbism »

The latest qbismS8_0039

Fixed overbright problem with custom palettes. Needed to "color boost" the baseline colormap. If you've experienced this issue, you'll know what I mean.
qbism

Post by qbism »

New build 41: http://qbism.com/nexus/wp-content/uploa ... 8_0041.zip
New video with Unforgiven 3 gameplay glamor shots: http://youtu.be/LOenE94-_p0

Quadra-post... sigh. ("quadro"?) Stay tuned to qbism.com for minor updates. Bigger challenges will return here to Engine Programming - to suck your brains!! Bwah-hah-ha-ha-haaa! Happy Halloween.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Awesome. The engine looks great and robust. And I love huge medieval maps with waves of monsters in a Serious Sam style like this.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

With the latest qbism I get a yellow tint (I suppose that's what you would call it) when I bring up the menu. I start qbism from a dos prompt and it doesn't report any errors.

Screenshot of the oddity.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Looks like a weird implementation of the menu background or the lookup for it being corrupted.

Qbism might want to steal Engoo's Draw_FadeScreen for this, as I know Makaqu's method isn't perfect and was still speculative.
i should not be here
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

qbism wrote:New video with Unforgiven 3 gameplay glamor shots: http://youtu.be/LOenE94-_p0
This looks bloody amazing. Also, the beginning reminds me of the last boss of Doom 3's Ressurrection of Evil.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
qbism

Post by qbism »

mankrip wrote: http://youtu.be/LOenE94-_p0
This looks bloody amazing. Also, the beginning reminds me of the last boss of Doom 3's Ressurrection of Evil.
:D
This one level has several different bosses. Each level had one main boss, as foretold on the start map.
leileilol wrote:Looks like a weird implementation of the menu background or the lookup for it being corrupted.
Qbism might want to steal Engoo's Draw_FadeScreen for this, as I know Makaqu's method isn't perfect and was still speculative.
I added a cvar to control Makaqu-style fadescreen: scr_fadecolor. The default value I picked was ugly at some point. Legal values are palette entries, 0 - 254. Try "scr_fadecolor 48", should be an improvement. It's just doing an alphamap lookup vs. the specialized menumap lookup table that Engoo has. Should be stealable.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Build 53 - runs faster, colored lights (.lits, models, vwep, dynamic)
http://qbism.com/nexus/wp-content/uploa ... 8_0053.zip

The .lit file is loaded and converted into a value-balanced indexed colored hue map. The hue map is providing color and saturation but not (much) brightness. In R_DrawSurfaceBlock functions, the standard blended lightmap (blocklights) is combined with a dithered hue map (blockcolors) using a lookup table. Overall, a very minimal performance hit.

The build runs faster because several assembly functions have been restored, especially drawspans. The colored lighting method does not required modified span functions.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Did you upload a Jan 2 build? I'm not seeing colored lighting anywhere.
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

Oops, left an old build in there, but it has been fixed. Please re-download. Server should report version 53.
revelator

Post by revelator »

heh i know how you feel :P
Productivity is a state of mind.