qbismSuper8 builds

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
toneddu2000

Re: qbismSuper8 builds

Post by toneddu2000 »

qbism wrote:Exactly. r_nolerplist cvar, originally from FitzQuake I recall
k, thanks
qbism wrote:Also keep an eye on Mark V winquake. Many cool features, especially in the console.
There's a site for it or just func_msgboard thread?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Baker

Post by Baker »

toneddu2000 wrote:
qbism wrote:Exactly. r_nolerplist cvar, originally from FitzQuake I recall
k, thanks
qbism wrote:Also keep an eye on Mark V winquake. Many cool features, especially in the console.
There's a site for it or just func_msgboard thread?
Just a thread. It's like an Easter Egg hunt. And quite very much on purpose.

Because it's just about implementing ideas and thoughts with high quality implementations.

I don't want too many muggles and riff-raff using it because I want high quality feedback and muggles and riff-raff are too lazy to dig through a thread to find the current download ...

... Let alone provide high quality feedback. :twisted:

/So I get 99.9% feedback from smart people and 0% Steam knobs. Its a match made in heaven! :twisted: :twisted:
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ok, understood, thanks. I can consider myself not a "riff-raff" so I'll use func_msgboard thread and I'll try to make some high-quality thoughts! :biggrin: Compliments to you both for the great effort!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law »

Baker wrote: /So I get 99.9% feedback from smart people and 0% Steam knobs. Its a match made in heaven! :twisted: :twisted:
Clever plan, but I thumb my nose at it! I keep recommending FMV to riff-raff on Steam and reddit. Especially the ones looking for a modern software renderer that does widescreen and soundtrack music files... I pretty much always point them to "winquake" FMV and qbism super 8.

(I guess the silver lining is that they still won't create a func_msgboard account and post feedback.)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Johnny Law wrote:
Baker wrote: /So I get 99.9% feedback from smart people and 0% Steam knobs. Its a match made in heaven! :twisted: :twisted:
Clever plan, but I thumb my nose at it! I keep recommending FMV to riff-raff on Steam and reddit. Especially the ones looking for a modern software renderer that does widescreen and soundtrack music files... I pretty much always point them to "winquake" FMV and qbism super 8.

(I guess the silver lining is that they still won't create a func_msgboard account and post feedback.)
I'm exaggerating slightly but the main theme is I want only people to use because they know why they want to use it.

The Tragedy of the Commons is major risk in any free project.

It burnt out and wrecked MH's interest in engine coding, for example. Quakespasm gets mobbed by dumb requests, unreasonable requests, non-helping users, etc.

My strategy is avoid that by appealing only to those most interested in single player, and those people do a great job with bug reports too.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
qbism

Post by qbism »

I wonder if the SDL buffer of a hardware engine like QuakeSpasm could be shoved through a palette lookup table before swap. That would give a convincing software engine look with a few lines of code and a few milliseconds of overhead.
Baker

Post by Baker »

qbism wrote:I wonder if the SDL buffer of a hardware engine like QuakeSpasm could be shoved through a palette lookup table before swap. That would give a convincing software engine look with a few lines of code and a few milliseconds of overhead.
Something to think about ...

If you type r_fullbright 1 (or whatever it is) in the console, every classic OpenGL engine is using the 256-color Quake palette because the map textures and model textures are all Quake palette.

And it doesn't look or feel like software Quake when you do that.
Spike

Post by Spike »

fte's r_softwarebanding cvar uses glsl to provide a mip*lightmap lookup in a similar way to software rendering, resulting in the same ugly banding effect. also needs nearest filtering, and its easier to just use the 4 provided mips instead of mipping and then palettizing it. plus closer to the vanilla appearance. And the lightmap needs fancy rounding in order to avoid mid-texel banding.

yay glsl.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Spike wrote:fte's r_softwarebanding cvar uses glsl to provide a mip*lightmap lookup in a similar way to software rendering, resulting in the same ugly banding effect.
I just downloaded the latest and tried it. The best emulation I've seen! Especially with the colored map lighting. It reminded me of Engoo rendition of colored light.

I noticed the lighting slowly ramping up or down in some areas. Is there auto gamma adjust ?
Baker wrote:If you type r_fullbright 1 (or whatever it is) in the console, every classic OpenGL engine is using the 256-color Quake palette because the map textures and model textures are all Quake palette.

And it doesn't look or feel like software Quake when you do that.
I see what you mean. I went another step and converted a few screenshots to Quake-palette indexed. Still looked like what it was, a gl screenshot converted to sw palette. Subtle shades of fog is especially badly banded even for sw lovers. But the trilinear-filtered model texturing would be an asset.

The subtle color of Honey's fog is especially challenging.