Engine what???

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
frsotywinters

Engine what???

Post by frsotywinters »

Ok i downloaded the Quake 3 Arena Engine (quake3-1.32) which is avaible under GPL fom the IDsoftware website.

Now i was just wondering if anyone could fill in a few gaps for me!!

All i want the Game Engine to do is run a map that i have created, (ie i dont want to play the quake 3 game just this one map) and implement a game i wrote in QuakeC. So ill have my own one level game.

Does anyone know if i need to add files to the game engine i downloaded or what?? Im stumped!!!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Okay, I'm no expert on the Quake3 engine, but...

First off, if you intend to run a QuakeC progs.dat, forget it. You need a regular Quake engine, such as Darkplaces. Same story for .bsp files designed for regular Quake. Unless you've added a QuakeC interpreter to the quake3 engine.

Second, odds are good, that you'll need an engine modification to even run a quake3 map standalone with the engine without needing the original quake3 files. (e.g. .pk3 files, etc)

I'd recommend you check out Cheapy's OpenArena project over at planetgargoyle.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Why not use Darkplaces? That supports q3bsp pretty well.
i should not be here
frsotywinters

Post by frsotywinters »

Mmmm darkplaces, is that a game engine?? Get anybody explain exactly what it is??
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

frsotywinters wrote:Mmmm darkplaces, is that a game engine?? Get anybody explain exactly what it is??
DarkPlaces (DP) is a glQuake1 based engine, but with lots of alterations such as per pixel lightning, md3 models, targa/png texture replacement, q3bsp maps, vorbis ogg support etc.

You will find darkplaces, screenshots and more info at:
http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

To run your mod,

* create a new folder in the quake1 directory (ie c:\quakle1\_mymod_ | replace _mymod_ with your mods name)

* Compile the qc files to a progs.dat file using frikqcc, fteqcc, proqcc (or any other qc-compiler)

* Copy the progs.dat to your mod folder

* run the engine by command line with -game parameter to the mod directory name (ie glquake.exe -game _mymod_ | replace glquake.exe with the name of the executable for your engine and replace _mymod_ with your mods name)
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

ProQCC? You dare mention *that*?
frsotywinters

Post by frsotywinters »

Thanks guys your a great help!!!
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

FrikaC wrote:ProQCC? You dare mention *that*?
Hey, it were the compiler that got myself jumpstarted :P