ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Baker

ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Post by Baker »

http://quakeone.com/proquake/proquake_470_psp.zip

Eboot in psp/normal folder. Engine source code included in above zip.

Requires the m_bttns.lmp or whatever the on-screen keyboard graphic is.

Features:

1. Runs Quake properly.
2. Runs Kurok.
3. Loads Half-Life maps (try this map as an example http://quakeone.com/proquake/interims/halflife.bsp )
4. Frag machine's custom chase cam (press LTRIGGER) to see it in action.
5. Can connect to Quake servers and has the level 1 NAT-fix (for the moment, the full ProQuake NAT fix isn't in).
5. Proper developer and usability features (cmdlist, cvarlist, hunk_print command, better warnings).
6. More debugged with many Enhanced GLQuake style features and some FitzQuake developer features.
7. Transparent sbar when not playing Kurok (cl_sbar 1 to restore to normal).
8. Bounding box fix, water rendering fix come to mind as notable bug fixes. Probably has 30 other important lesser ones but I'd have to think hard to recall.
9. Session to session command line history. So you can press the up key in the console to scroll through commands you used last session. Makes life a lot easier on a PSP.

Sorry but the docs suck because I have zero time right now. Fighting an annoying issue absorbed most of the last 3 days which I could have used for better docs and a couple new features.

Also note the lack of screenshots which I am generally big on.

mp3 supports requires mp3s to be in <gamedir>\music folder. For so Kurok move the mp3s to <quake folder>\kurok\music folder. They must be renamed to track00.mp3, track01.mp3, etc. if they are not named that already (I don't believe they are). Quake mp3 folder is obviously <quake folder>\id1\music .
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

nice bakers nice.I am moving our game to this engine ;)
Baker

Post by Baker »

I've got about 1.5 hours so I'm gonna do an update with a couple of improvements I feel are important and probably better docs with a list explaining improvements and differences from PSP Quake and the Kurok Engine.

Liikely next week I will be doing a follow up update doing some things I would have liked to have done, but didn't end up getting time to focus on like I had hoped.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

hmm ok. Hey just thinking. Could you like note wich fies you edited. so the who started use that engine (me) dont have to completly redo things they have done XD (if you know what i mean)

keep up the good work
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote:hmm ok. Hey just thinking. Could you like note wich fies you edited. so the who started use that engine (me) dont have to completly redo things they have done XD (if you know what i mean)

keep up the good work
This is a near complete overhaul, not a mild revision of an existing engine.

Most things are where you expect to find them with any other engine, but if you opened WinMerge and compared it to another engine like, say, Kurok PSP there would be probably 20,000 lines of code difference I'm guessing.

It would have a lot of similarity in places [and in a few cases be nearly identical in the PSP specific stuff (system.cpp, etc.)] but that's about it.
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Baker wrote:
Jukki wrote:hmm ok. Hey just thinking. Could you like note wich fies you edited. so the who started use that engine (me) dont have to completly redo things they have done XD (if you know what i mean)

keep up the good work
This is a near complete overhaul, not a mild revision of an existing engine.

Most things are where you expect to find them with any other engine, but if you opened WinMerge and compared it to another engine like, say, Kurok PSP there would be probably 20,000 lines of code difference I'm guessing.

It would have a lot of similarity in places [and in a few cases be nearly identical in the PSP specific stuff (system.cpp, etc.)] but that's about it.
no i meant for updates on this engine (cuurent -coming) Of course i know that this and kurok have lotsa diferences.

(sry i am so stupid and my english not good. )
Baker

Post by Baker »

Jukki wrote: no i meant for updates on this engine (cuurent -coming) Of course i know that this and kurok have lotsa diferences.

(sry i am so stupid and my english not good. )
Nothing stops you from doing that. Open this version source code versus the prior in WinMerge.

You should already know how to do this if you are good modder. It you aren't able to do this yourself, you shouldn't be engine modding.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Nice Work Baker :)

Keep up the good work.

By the way, Does HLBSP Support WAD3 to store the Palette colors?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Mexicouger wrote:Nice Work Baker :)

Keep up the good work.

By the way, Does HLBSP Support WAD3 to store the Palette colors?
I think you should have the textures compiled into the .bsp because if you don't the existing Half-Life map support is extremely memory wasteful.

I didn't test it against an external WAD3 and I don't believe I enabled external WAD3 support. I'd have to check. If I didn't, I can add it to the source with the definition off so someone can compile it in if they choose.

Is that what you mean (external WAD3s)?
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Can you make a Tutorial for Half life Bsp on psp now? It is cool and all, But I would like to add it into my engine, Rather than changing to Proquake. Thanks much Baker :)
DusterdooSmock

Post by DusterdooSmock »

Mexicouger wrote:Can you make a Tutorial for Half life Bsp on psp now? It is cool and all, But I would like to add it into my engine, Rather than changing to Proquake. Thanks much Baker :)
Yeah, same thought.

Baker, can you please make a tutorial on Half-Life BSP for PSP Quake? :D
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

DusterdooSmock wrote:
Mexicouger wrote:Can you make a Tutorial for Half life Bsp on psp now? It is cool and all, But I would like to add it into my engine, Rather than changing to Proquake. Thanks much Baker :)
Yeah, same thought.

Baker, can you please make a tutorial on Half-Life BSP for PSP Quake? :D
I attempted to Port the Feature to my engine. I followed the same concept as the PC tutorial, and went to those files. However, I think Proquake is based off regular quake, and not Kurok, so It didn't know what Kurok was or something like that.

So it was a fail
Baker

Post by Baker »

I am spending all my time working on Engine X and ProQuake 5, Universal Server and the several other projects of mine.

You are free to take any source code from this engine that you want, or use the engine or modify it in accordance with the license agreement. I have my own mods and projects I am making.

And that is what I will be spending my limited time on until they are complete. I have provided you a source code from which Half-Life map support can easily be derived if you spend a minimal amount of effort with WinMerge, which is free. But I am spending my limited time on my projects.

I have projects too, you know. And I would like to complete them.
Baker

Post by Baker »

After thinking this through ....

Because I am extremely fast at porting features from one engine to another ... I have a one-time offer that is good for 3 days ...

Any PSP modding project can private message me a download link of their source code of PSP engine changes with a working version of their mod (so I can test it ... no I will not share your mod with others, I help run QuakeOne.com and have never betrayed anybody's trust ever) and I will add the code to this engine as an optional define for compilation and explain what to set for it to compile
in the base source release.

I don't want to spend my time trying to figure out how to dumb down my [far better] code to some more basic [and crash-prone] PSP engine. My goal is to raise the bar.

At the same time, I do understand some of my code changes will confuse some PSP engine modders who really don't have a solid grasp on C.

I find some of the limitations of the other PSP engine disgusting, frankly. Like no ip:port support .... how 1990s. Or turning slightly a model might disappear due to the lack of a bbox fix. Or the several dozen other primitive problems that have been long been understood how to fix. I mean, why be playing with sticks and stones.

And yes I do understand that there is an understanding gap between some of the things I know and that if I had time to explain you'd be like "OMG". But I don't have time to explain these things, it would be easier to demonstrate, actually.

Plus I have planned modifications that are amazing -- watch and see what you can you with the PSP with scr_modalmessage --- it'll blow your mind (hahaha). I'm not actually concerned with whether or not someone uses my engine --- I don't really care --- but I hate watching some of you guys shoot yourself in the foot and then post really bad questions, to be quite honest.

[Oh yeah, I should post screenshots. Once you see them, they will connect. I guarantee it ... It will connect because many of you guys ARE thinking outside the box ... which is great and many of your mods are noble ... but are not seeing what I am seeing, I assure you!]
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I appreciate the offer, But I actually want to do it myself, and Understand how it works and why you had to goto those Locations.

But Beings that your source is based more off quake than Kurok, The code is Harder to Read.