What do i need to code engines?

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
machi

What do i need to code engines?

Post by machi »

Hello!

I wanted to know what do i need to code quake engines, what programs, source, etc
i dont have any experience on C, just coded quakec.
anywhere where i could find some tuts nice the ones here but for quake engines?
Entar

Post by Entar »

Quake Standards Group -- http://www.quakesrc.org
Very handy place, includes tutorials, forums, and more :D

As for what you'll need...
MSVC++6.0 is what I use, but I hear it's possible with other compilers. Then you're going to need a code base (Cleansrc isn't bad, if you're starting at square one, but if you want to start from an existing engine, try QMB, DarkPlaces and Telejano) - and of course, you're going to need Quake1, but seeing as you've done some QC coding, I'll assume you have that already...
Spike

Post by Spike »

what you need to code quake engines.

1: a logical mind.
2: a C compiler
3: an idea of what you want to do with it
4: knoledge of the engine in question
5: a good starting point.

1 I can do nothing to help with.
2 can be solved for free with mingw (though you'll need to figure out how to use it first). Some engines compile with dev-cpp which is nice and free. msvc6 is the compiler of choice, though some loonys use msvc.net (of various sorts)
3 coding without direction takes far longer to get anywhere with.
4 you need to know what to change before you change it. the people on quakesrc.org are better than this place for engine stuff.
5 pick a nice, clean engine that doesn't have (much) convoluted meaningless, pointless or buggy code. It's much easier to code things if you don't have to fix other peoples bugs first.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I suggest starting with stock WinQuake/GLQuake... Because they have things you can optimize/make better as practice and to gain familiarity with the engine. For example today in a project of mine I optimized the funny-bad software Draw_Fill function and made software Draw_Pic and Draw_TransPic able to draw half-off the screen without crashing. I also added support for multiple .wad loading, so i could do variable-width fonts which are each in their own .wad file (which I did). Also made it so you can draw strings with these fonts in any colour.

I even managed to break the GL build somehow (I am working on a machine without a 3D card, so I just floppy-disked it over to one that had one just to test, but it didn't work, it crashes before even getting to the console at startup :( ) (Any chance this could have something to do with the GL 'scrap'? And the fact that I have wads with about 100 tiny images in them? I don't know much about GL and haven't looked at the GL code much)

Sorry about going off, but I did 2 things, give you an example of how to start, and asked for desperate help!!
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
machi

Post by machi »

thanks a lot to everyone! ill try to get started form what you said sajt, but it stills does look a bit advacend to me. does anyone know if there is someting like the QC manual, where i can get familiarized with the engine ? thanks!
Entar

Post by Entar »

You might want to take a look at the Quake Wiki - it has some interesting information on Quake stuff, including engine modding...

http://wiki.quakesrc.org
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Entar wrote:You might want to take a look at the Quake Wiki - it has some interesting information on Quake stuff, including engine modding...

http://wiki.quakesrc.org
It needs more. Write some.
Entar

Post by Entar »

One of these days I'm just going to take a half-hour or something and put as much into that wiki as possible... :P