Direct 3D 9.0c Quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
mh

Post by mh »

Monster wrote:So I believe I've found the reason why DirectQ was giving me a grey screen of death. After updating my video card drivers and updating directX drivers, I downloaded DirectQ 1.8.1 and installed it into a fresh quake folder, with nothing but the two .pak files. I loaded it up and it seemed to work fine.

When I was turning off all the cl_bob settings, cl_bobcycle 0 made the screen completely grey again. It seems anything above 0 fixes it. my autoexec.cfg and config.cfg files before had cl_bobcycle 0 in them, explaining why the screen was always grey until I did a fresh install.

So cl_bobcycle 0 seems to be my problem. oddly enough.

I noticed upon connecting to a server with a custom map I don't have, the engine crashes. Also it'd be nice to show the rankings at the end of a multiplayer game. The customize controls menu doesn't seem to respond to my mouse clicks, so I have to do a bind mouse1 "+attack" command in the console. It does, however, respond to mousewheel. Is there a way to adjust the size of the gun model? I'm on 1680x1050x32 resolution, using fov 110 and the gun model still looks quite big as compared to other engines like Darkplaces or Fitzquake.

I'm glad I finally discovered the reason for all my directq problems! Awesome engine. A timedemo of demo1.dem gives me 600 fps with 1.6 seconds. loving it so far.
:D

Confirmed the same happens for me with cl_bobcycle 0 - I have something to test now! :D :D :D

I'll take your other suggestions (and required bugfixes) on board.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

do you think we can get frikfile, and some commonly used dpextentions? oh! and possibly a setweaponskin?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Sweet ! :D

I've also noticed that when i fire grenades continously, sometimes i'll get a disappearing grenade. This could be because its violating some kind of particle limit of some kind, I was connected to quake.shmack.net, notorious for particles being all over the place.

Is there any kind of limit or threshold of maxfps where ping starts to get screwy? I've noticed this happens with alot of engines as well, just curious as to whats a good number to set my maxfps at without too much ping spiking.

while running forward (backwards too) and lowering the console, the view snaps back up, like a lookspring type thing. Also when connecting to a server with a scrolly motd-type thing, (well any motd actually) it spams the motd in the console until its finished with its animation. Try connecting to dm.clanhdz.com to see exactly what I mean.

Ping in the scoreboard would be nice too... and being able to see elapsed time. Is there a way to get 48000 khz sound? I also notice sound 'crackling' sometimes. Just throwing some suggestions at you :P
mh

Post by mh »

Monster wrote:Sweet ! :D

I've also noticed that when i fire grenades continously, sometimes i'll get a disappearing grenade. This could be because its violating some kind of particle limit of some kind, I was connected to quake.shmack.net, notorious for particles being all over the place.
No limit on particles; it'll do 100,000 of them if that's what's needed. I suspect that what might be happening is something (and I have a good idea what that something might be) is getting in a knot when the client reuses an entity slot for a new entity but with the same model the frame immediately after the old entity was removed (and the old entity was previously hidden behind some geometry). Should only happen in circumstances like you describe, and might be quite difficult to fix at the moment.
Monster wrote:Is there any kind of limit or threshold of maxfps where ping starts to get screwy? I've noticed this happens with alot of engines as well, just curious as to whats a good number to set my maxfps at without too much ping spiking.
No idea to be honest.
Monster wrote:while running forward (backwards too) and lowering the console, the view snaps back up, like a lookspring type thing. Also when connecting to a server with a scrolly motd-type thing, (well any motd actually) it spams the motd in the console until its finished with its animation. Try connecting to dm.clanhdz.com to see exactly what I mean.
The first one is a bug. The second is coming from centerprint logging, I think. Will need to check that.
Monster wrote:Ping in the scoreboard would be nice too... and being able to see elapsed time. Is there a way to get 48000 khz sound? I also notice sound 'crackling' sometimes. Just throwing some suggestions at you :P
Ping times are only available to the server and sending them to clients is not supported by the standard Quake protocol. Engines that do provide it use a really really ghastly hack (stuffing ping times into a string) and are totally dependent on the server sending ping times.

Elapsed time sounds like a neat idea though; I must check if the timelimit is also available so I can give the option of doing a countdown too. This one's a definite.

I'll check out the sound thing. Not sure right now.

Overall I'm glad it works for you now, and it's nice to get suggestions, but I need to stress that features which are of benefit to both SP and MP are more likely to be prioritised than features of benefit (or only meaningful in) one game type only. :D
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

I can't map mouse buttons via the menu when in windowed mode for some reason. Win 7 x64.
mh

Post by mh »

Interesting one this:

Code: Select all

cycle = cl.time - (int) (cl.time / cl_bobcycle.value) * cl_bobcycle.value;
cl_bobcycle 0 therefore gives a division by 0. :shock:

I've cross-checked this against Fitz and ID Quake and it's the same code there too.
mh

Post by mh »

More stuff:

The MOTD thing is fixed in the current (as yet unreleased) codebase.

cl_bobcycle 0 and cl_bobup 0 (and cl_bobup 1) - all of which give division by 0 - are now trapped and fixed.

I don't get the running/view snap thing in my tests so far. SP or MP?

Elapsed time and timelimit are only accessible from the server. ProQuake clients may use the same ugly hack as they do for ping times (stuffing the values into a string and sending it across).

I'll check the mouse buttons thing. I suspect it's because of the fact that I switch off DirectInput (and return the mouse pointer to the OS in windowed modes) when in the menus.

Variable sound sampling rates are not implemented (how did I miss that?) I'm going to do some more work on the sound system to allow it to be restarted in-game, and implement them via cvar (s_khz is used by Q2 so that's what I'll use here as well) as well as command-line (I think -sndspeed is standard).
Monster

Post by Monster »

heh dividing by 0.. who would've guessed. :P

I get the view snap thing in SP and MP on my machine. Like I said, only happens when you lower the console while running forward/backward.

Hmm well darkplaces shows elapsed time as well... by this I mean the time elapsed on the current map. Even Fitz shows it. DirectQ shows it in singleplayer, but not in multiplayer.

yeah, ping in the scoreboard isnt too huge of a deal for me, it can easily be checked by typing ping in the console. doesn't seem worth having to do some nasty hack for it :P

resetting gamma back to normal upon alt-tabbing would be nice, as well as turning off the music.

sometimes when playing online in big firefights or just at random times, it'll chop up, itll freeze for less than half a second or so. sometimes its almost barely noticable. i've also noticed sounds dropping in/out, kind of like packetloss. I know it isn't packetloss, my connections pretty stable and this doesn't happen on other engines. Kind of hard to get a definite explanation on that issue, but it seems a bit unstable online.
Lardarse

Post by Lardarse »

(1.7.666c) Always Run doesn't increase backwards speed.
Roaming status: Testing and documentation
Monster

Post by Monster »

(1.7.666c) Always Run doesn't increase backwards speed.
Yeah, i noticed that too. I had to set cl_forwardspeed 999 and cl_backspeed 999.
mh

Post by mh »

Monster wrote:Hmm well darkplaces shows elapsed time as well... by this I mean the time elapsed on the current map. Even Fitz shows it. DirectQ shows it in singleplayer, but not in multiplayer.

yeah, ping in the scoreboard isnt too huge of a deal for me, it can easily be checked by typing ping in the console. doesn't seem worth having to do some nasty hack for it :P
Oh, I can give you your own ping time easily enough, and likewise if it's just cl.time you want; I had thought you were asking for something more.
Monster

Post by Monster »

yeah cl.time would work. just something simple like that.

I found out why it spams the motd (or all centerprints actually) in the console. scr_centerlog 0 fixed it for me.

it'd be cool if you could fix that old glquake bug with the player's corpse not retaining its original colors. =)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

mh wrote:(I think -sndspeed is standard).
DOS Quake had it called -sspeed
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

leileilol wrote:
No reason not to support both. :D
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

mh wrote:
leileilol wrote:
No reason not to support both. :D

-.-
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!