Direct 3D 9.0c Quake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
mh

Post by mh »

Monster wrote:Is there a way to adjust the size of the gun model? I'm on 1680x1050x32 resolution, using fov 110 and the gun model still looks quite big as compared to other engines like Darkplaces or Fitzquake.
Just realised why this is. Both DP and FQ use a weird bastardized gun model offset that is not the same as ID Quake at 640x480 and above, and which makes the gun model look - to my filthy depraved mind at least - like an erection.

DirectQ uses the ID style by default (of course), but you can set r_gunangle 0 to use the DP/FQ style. r_gunangle 2 will revert to ID style, and other values may or may not work or do weird stuff.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
metlslime

Post by metlslime »

long ago i removed the weird (but standard) offset so that the gun wouldn't do weird things when you looked up and down. This has the negative effect of making it harder to see when you have a statusbar up. In retrospect there are better solutions, maybe i should revisit it.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Better to move the model along a curve that a line. Playing with the numbers, this looks OK within reasonable limits, 30< fov <140

Code: Select all

scr_ofsx.value = (pow(scr_fov.value, 2)-8100)/1700; //qbism compensate view model position
scr_ofsz.value = (pow(scr_fov.value, 2)-8100)/2000;//qbism compensate view model position
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I've foudn that host_framerate is very messed up in DirectQ. In my 10 seconds of testing, with host_framerate set to 0.001, the view bobbing and grenade fuses didn't obey it (so the grenade flew slowly then blew up in my face).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

metlslime wrote:long ago i removed the weird (but standard) offset so that the gun wouldn't do weird things when you looked up and down. This has the negative effect of making it harder to see when you have a statusbar up. In retrospect there are better solutions, maybe i should revisit it.
I turned it into a cvar called v_fudgeweapon or something (default 1 = Quake behaviour).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
mh

Post by mh »

Sajt wrote:I've foudn that host_framerate is very messed up in DirectQ. In my 10 seconds of testing, with host_framerate set to 0.001, the view bobbing and grenade fuses didn't obey it (so the grenade flew slowly then blew up in my face).
Well spotted, you win this month's prize! :D :lol:

Fortunately it's a 1 line fix, so cheers for the heads up on this one!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Okay cool. Now add the "slowmo" cvar!
LordVorkosigan

Re: Direct 3D 9.0c Quake

Post by LordVorkosigan »

Hi MH,

Any chance to get a new DirectQ release one day?
The latest release (1.9.0) is startnig so show its age, and has some anoying bugs (player sinking in the ground after some time...)

I love this Quake port, and I really would like to see a new release comming... :mrgreen:
mh

Post by mh »

Probably not.

There are various reasons why DirectQ ended up the way it did, including multiple competing demands from the SP and MP communities, and the fact that large parts of the first few versions were just so badly botched. If I was going to do any more work I'd be more inclined to start again and strip the feature set right down than I would be to build on what's already there.

I've also had to hugely cut down my involvement in this owing to Real Life demands, and quite simply don't have the time to do anything on that scale any more. As it stood I was badly burned-out at the time I stopped (the fact that I was hopping from Q1 to Q2 to H2 and back was a sign of that), don't have many happy memories of my last year or so, and don't have much interest in going there again.

When D3D12 or Next-Generation GL are released I may do something more on the personal project scale - porting Quake to a new 3D API is always a fun experience - but the matter of public projects looks very unlikely ever again.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Aye take it from me :) its newer good to get to banged up in your work (fun while it last though), i also had to cut my workhours else i would have been going up in smoke and flames.
Productivity is a state of mind.