Console commands via localcmd overriding key presses.

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
necros

Console commands via localcmd overriding key presses.

Post by necros »

i've got a powerup. i wanted the screen to be tinted a certain colour when the player has the powerup, so i used localcmd to send the console command "v_cshift x x x x" to the console to change colour.

this work fine, but sometimes, if you press (or release) a key at close to the same time as the console command is sent, quake will not receive the key press, so if you let go of, say, the forward key, quake might not get the "-forward" command, and keep moving you forward forever until you press the key again.

is there any way around this?
i never noticed this problem with stuffcmd when it sends "bf" to the console to flash the screen when you pick up items.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Well, at least don't use localcmd ! ... that sends the message to the server only. So only the host would get it (if there even is a host). Use stuffcmd
necros

Post by necros »

well, it doesn't really matter at this point since it's all SP, and there is no server/client relation.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

You still should... honestly :)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I imagine using localcmd is the problem, since it's sent through the server and may conflict with or override the other console commands (like -forward). Stuffcmd seems to work fine for "bf", so try it.

Otherwise I don't know what would cause that. :(
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
necros

ok

Post by necros »

well, i'll try it with stuffcmd. i'm pretty sure it still causes trouble with that one instead of localcmd, but we'll see. thanks for the suggestion.

also, beyond this problem, what real reason is there to use stuffcmd besides localcmd except for the aforementioned server only reason?
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

The main reason to use stuffcmd is that the task you are doing is best performed with it :)

localcmd is simply not designed for what you are trying to achieve. It only sends to the server, and even then it has problems, i.e. the problems which caused you to post this thread in the first place :p

Stuffcmd sends the message to be executed by the specified client, and should not interfere with keypresses. I'm 90% certain that using stuffcmd will solve your problem, and that's the reason to use it :)

smiley overload.... ~( 8^J)
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

For single-player purposes, the difference is what code processes the command and when. Stuffcmd is generally safer in all aspects.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Tei

Re: Console commands via localcmd overriding key presses.

Post by Tei »

try adding \n after commands