Error message concerning progdefs.h being out of date...

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
necros

Error message concerning progdefs.h being out of date...

Post by necros »

Quake crashes with:
"progs.dat system vars have been modified, progdefs.h is out of date"

i'm trying to add new items so i think that may be what's causing it, but i can't figure out exactly what it means...
progdefs.h gets made everytime i compile the code so i don't understand how it can be out of date...

help?
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Usually this happens when you add or change stuff too high in defs.qc. If you added any globals, variables, etc, make sure you move them to below the area where it defines:
void end_sys_fields; // flag for structure dumping
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Spike

Post by Spike »

DON'T CHANGE THE TOP OF DEFS.QC!!!!

I'm warning you...

Well, yeah, it tends to come up with a message...
Something about progdefs.h being out of date.

Oh, err, yeah, what Wazat said.

Technical stuph. QCC (which ever one) generates a progdefs.h file when compiling. It builds this file from the defs above the void end_sys_fields; definition.
The engine was compiled with a copy of this .h file generated by id.
If they don't match up, the engine will refuse the progs. You can look inside it to see the differences and which changes you need to undo to get it working again.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

It also happens when you try to add parms beyond parm16.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:It also happens when you try to add parms beyond parm16.
Since the whole concept of the parms is handled engineside and there's a constant there defining that there's only up to parm16, adding more is merely adding unused crap to the system defs.
necros

Post by necros »

sorry, forgot to post that i found the problem. i was using items2 for the hipnotic icons but put it below items, which was above that line that you guys said not to put anything above. ^_^

anyway, thanks for the help, guys.

also, frikac, you're saying that if i added a parm17, it would be treated as just a normal float, and not carry over to different levels?
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Uhh... I think I just tried to reply but ended up sending a PM. Sorry about that, I'm not used to scrolling to the top of the page to find the tiny Add Reply button O_O
necros

Post by necros »

If you added a parm17, it would be the same as adding anything else to the 'special' list... you'd screw it up. You'll notice that when you compile, QCC generates a file called 'progdefs.h', which contains globalvars_t and entvars_t, C structures based on what is defined above the dumping flags in QC. The Quake engine compiles with progdefs.h, so if you change what's in it, it won't match the engine any more.
yeah, i figured that out already. what i meant was if i added a parm17 later on down the line.

also, i too agree that the reply button is small and annoying to click on... can we have a nice 'Reply' button at the bottom where it makes the most sense? ^_^
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

You could add a parm17 later, but it wouldn't do anything. The parm1-16 fields are used explicitly by the engine.
Supa

Post by Supa »

necros: Such a button exists, its just that it's at the top of the page, between the new topic button on the left and the thread location (In this case, 'Inside3D Forums Forum Index -> Coding')
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

necros wrote:also, i too agree that the reply button is small and annoying to click on... can we have a nice 'Reply' button at the bottom where it makes the most sense? ^_^
Notice how he said the reply button [on the top] is annoying to click on and he wants one *on the bottom*...
Tei

Post by Tei »

Reply Icons are comming!!! Reply Icons are comming!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage