Stupid Fiends

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Entar

Stupid Fiends

Post by Entar »

sielwolf on planetquake forums wrote: One more thing about the fiends, can it be that their awareness
is somehow broken in the current version of IQ ? They only seem to
notice me when I am standing directly infront of them.

---

Tested it some more and the fiends only attack me when I shoot
them, otherwise I can even stand right infront of them.
Entar on planetquake forums wrote: I just tested the thing with the fiend on E1M2, and it worked fine. As soon as that little door (past the blue key door) opens, he charges right at me.

I tested it on E4M3, M4, M5, and M6, and none of them seemed to notice me, even if I ran in front of them, shot a wall, or anything.
Shooting them works though :D The problem only occurs with fiends.

The weird thing is I've only changed a little bit in the AI (z-aware ogres and zombies + grenade evasion, which are both very concise blocks of code), and only changed the monster's health in demon.qc. :x

Anybody else had this problem before? Anybody have any ideas for bugfix? :shock:
Entar

Post by Entar »

OK - MauveBib helped me out and I got it fixed. :D

Thanks anyway :P
Tei

Re: Stupid Fiends

Post by Tei »

I have a dead project somewhere about to add good ai and animations to fiends.

I really hate how lame are the pain animations. And yes, this cool monsters need editing to add something fresh,... less repetitive, or leess repetitive or maybe less repetitive.
Entar

Post by Entar »

Tei wrote:I have a dead project somewhere about to add good ai and animations to fiends.

I really hate how lame are the pain animations. And yes, this cool monsters need editing to add something fresh,... less repetitive, or leess repetitive or maybe less repetitive.
I was just looking at the original fiend model in the model editor and noticed it only has 1 animation for each thing. It has:

stand
walk
run
leap
pain
death
attacka

How lame is that? :? :shock:
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Entar wrote:
Tei wrote:I have a dead project somewhere about to add good ai and animations to fiends.

I was just looking at the original fiend model in the model editor and noticed it only has 1 animation for each thing. It has:

stand
walk
run
leap
pain
death
attacka

How lame is that? :? :shock:
Yeah man ID should have added ragdoll physics and 9 animations for each action. :roll:
Tei

Post by Tei »

Try shotting a fiend with spikegun on easy, THAT lame.

I will try to attach my ugly/broken version of a better demon.qc

Its WIP... forgoten.

Here its:
http://telejano.berlios.de/option/DEMON-z.QC

Humm... maybe the new model its also needed. :/

http://telejano.berlios.de/option/demon2.mdl
Last edited by Tei on Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Yeah man ID should have added ragdoll physics and 9 animations for each action.
I agree with c0burn's sarcasm (assuming he was being sarcastic). ID wasn't about to go all-out, considering what they did was pioneering work already. The demon is one of the better and more interesting monsters in the game. I agree that the animations are limited, but that's kind of constant throughout Quake -- Take the guns for example. That's not the only thing in Quake they left incomplete or awkward. :D

However, I would like to see lots of improvements on the demon, and other monsters. Got anything in mind?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Entar

Post by Entar »

The fiend is just about the only monster that doesn't have an alternate death animation... :(
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Ah, that's true. Most monsters have 2-3 pain/death animations for variety. Still, the demons are awefully cool regardless. They really need more done to them, tho.

I tried making demons that will charge the player (instead of jumping) and ram him with their horns, but couldn't get it to work. Has anyone ever tried that?
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Tei

Post by Tei »

Wazat wrote:Ah, that's true. Most monsters have 2-3 pain/death animations for variety. Still, the demons are awefully cool regardless. They really need more done to them, tho.

I tried making demons that will charge the player (instead of jumping) and ram him with their horns, but couldn't get it to work. Has anyone ever tried that?
Humm... looks like a fun idea. Why Its dificult? You maybe need to remove the melees and use only the missile attack, and make the attack "run" instead to jump, then at colision add momentum to the player and damage.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

The trick is the collision part. You can't rely on .touch, so you have to do your own figuring on when the demon has hit the player, or if it missed him, or if it's run into a wall.
Urre

Post by Urre »

What Tei says sounds fairly correct. I'd just make it use a strong forward velocity, and a touch function which damages and perhaps sends the player flying. You could also check if the the thing it touched is in front of him, but that's not necessary, seeing as the original jump attack didn't check that either. Just don't forget to remove onground if doing the velocity thing, but I bet you knew that already.
I was once a Quake modder
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Well, what I'm envisioning would work a lot better as running than a fast low jump. I'll have to play with it.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

I'd be easier to have the missile attack randomly select between the charging move or the regular fiend jump. Why not have both? :P
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

I agree.

What I'm saying is, when the fiend does do its run attack, I want it to actually run across the ground, not just do a horizontal jump. The trick is testing for impact.