Player death logic

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Subject9x

Player death logic

Post by Subject9x »

Hello all, first time posting here but have been reading for a while now and have studied the tutorials from the old site in the past.

I tried searching for this problem but haven't found an answer close to my problem.

Scope:
1) making a mech-style mod built using Darkplaces extensions.
2) players have entities attached to them as parts (using MOVETYPE_FOLLOW).
3) certain entities when killed, will kill the player ent (namely the mech's 'center torso').
4) player ent does not have a model, rather a pair of 'legs' are bolted onto the player at an offset.

Issue:
How do I handle player death? vanilla QC has the player state tightly coupled to the animation frames, but for my mod this is not the case.
I've been tearing my hair out trying to get respawning to work because the .deadflag logic is not being handled correctly.

Code: Select all

void() PlayerDie={
/*
normal code cribbed from player.qc
*/
  if(self.p_class == P_MECH){
    mech_player_die();
  }
  PlayerDead(); //this functions exactly as the original in player.qc
};

Code: Select all

void() mech_player_die={

local entity oself, w_chain, next;
  oself = self;
  mech_player_cameradie();

mech_player_compdie(self.e_tor_c);
  mech_player_compdie(self.e_tor_l);
  mech_player_compdie(self.e_tor_r);
  mech_player_compdie(self.e_arm_l);
  mech_player_compdie(self.e_arm_r);
  mech_player_compdie(self.e_legs);

w_chain = self.w_slot;
  while(w_chain){
    mech_player_compdie(w_chain);
    w_chain = w_chain.w_slot;
  }
  self = oself;
};

void(entity comp) mech_player_compdie={
  if(comp.model){
    if(comp != world && comp.owner == self){
      local entity old;
      old = self;
      self = comp;
        self.th_die();
      self = old;
    }
  }
};

any help would be greatly appreciated, I plan on putting the work-in-progess QC up on github if I can solve the respawn issue (theoretically its the last major problem holding me from building more of the actual mod...)

frag.machine

Re: Player death logic

Post by frag.machine »

I'd suggest to treat the mech torso as the player model/main entity to keep compatibility with the original death functions. You haven't mentioned but losing parts during combat suggests some sort of locational damage. Remember that MOVETYPE_FOLLOW assumes all attached entities use SOLID_NOT. With my experiments in multipart players I had the best results this way.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Subject9x

Post by Subject9x »

Thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow :)
I was thinking over it today, if the player is the center torso, I myself am not sure how to keep the player on the ground to move normally except for:
Making the player hitbox encompass most of the mech's volume, filtering out the player when a project hits and finding the closest available body part? Maybe set the player to fly a certain number of units above the ground?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

In this case there's no elegant way to deal with locational damage unfortunately; you will have to make some calculations to find the approximated impact area and react according. You may simplify a bit things working only in relation to the z axis and thus defining 3 zones: head, body or legs. The idea of a "hovering" entity sounds complicated and prone to many problems like getting stuck in stairs or jumping.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Subject9x

Post by Subject9x »

so should the player bbox encompass 'most' of the expected mech's volume? and the player model; the 'center torso' would be drawn at an offset?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

At least for a start I'd try to do as you described.
Subject9x

Post by Subject9x »

quick update: I haven't had a chance to try coding the location damage yet, but I did fix the player respawning issue by following your suggestions, thanks :)