Increasing monster's speed?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
franqutrass

Increasing monster's speed?

Post by franqutrass »

Hello everybody, I was wondering how I could increase monster's speed once they have low life, I've already added this code (http://www.inside3d.com/qctut/qctut-36.shtml) in order to change the enemy's skin but what I want is to change their speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
if (self.health < 20) // if helath under 20 - added

{ // - added

self.skin = 1; // make the skin "1" - added

} // - added
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure, but I think that I can add something else in that code in order to change their speed, Does anyone know?
hello
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: Increasing monster's speed?

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

That mainly has to do with pain. As is, you can't increase monster speed that way.

Create something like this:

Code: Select all

.float metabolism;
.void() monsterthink;
Then create:

void() monster_think =
{
 self.nextthink = time + self.metabolism;
};
Then all you have to do is assign self.monsterthink = monster_think;, set your self.metabolism to 0.1 or less, and place references to self.monsterthink(); in ai_run, ai_run_melee, ai_run_missile, etc.

The bonus you get from doing this is that you can now give your monsters LOTS of fun new things...Like enviromental awareness. :D
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

is movement speed based on the monsters animation? maybe he could make a limping animation thats slower? would be cool.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Changing .think will make them think faster....they wont move faster, their reaction time will be faster. If you mean physical velocity, try:

if (self.health < 20)
self.velocity = self.velocity * 1.5; // 50% faster

Usually when something has low health, they move slower, not faster.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

You could check in t_damage () , there is a float I think .dmg , which holds the last value of damage the target sustained. You could hack into the animaiton frames of either the monster or player so that if the take is 50% of current health value, change the frame to another frame that represents alot of pain being taken...and or make the current .nextthink something like : time + (0.5 + (random () * 0.5)) .... which is a small delay of one half, to one second for example.

Limping might be accomplished a similar way, by adding the delay every walk frame, and moving the pitch angle from about 45 to -45 gradually within the frameset. I have done this with the player model with decent success. Not sure about the monsters.
ceriux wrote:is movement speed based on the monsters animation? maybe he could make a limping animation thats slower? would be cool.
franqutrass

Post by franqutrass »

In fact, I want the enemies to move faster, but already tried this: "self.velocity = self.velocity * 1.5; // 50% faster", but it doesn't work seems to need something else. I wanted the enemie to get angry as the patriarch from killing floor.
hello
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Hmm, it may have to do with the fact mosters use the walkmove () built-in in their AI. Im not familiar with too much monster AI stuff.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Place this in ai.qc, just after ai_run:

void (float v) ai_berserk =
{
  if (self.health > 25)
  {
    ai_run (v);
  }
  else
  {
    ai_run (v * 1.5); // adjust to your taste
    self.nextthink = time + 0.075; // adjust to your taste
  }
};
Then replace all calls to ai_run(value) in the monster's run code with ai_berserk(value). Be aware though, maps with too many monsters "thinking" too frequently can bog down the engine.
EDIT: for spelling
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Cobalt wrote:Changing .think will make them think faster....they wont move faster, their reaction time will be faster.
Most monsters don't use self.velocity to move around, which is why speeding up their reaction time (and thus their animation time) will also make them move faster. :wink:
frag.machine wrote: Place this in ai.qc, just after ai_run:

void (float v) ai_berserk =
{
if (self.health > 25)
{
ai_run (v);
}
else
{
ai_run (v * 1.5); // adjust to your taste
self.nextthink = time + 0.075; // adjust to your taste
}
};
Then replace all calls to ai_run(value) in the monster's run code with ai_berserk(value). Be aware though, maps with too many monsters "thinking" too frequently can bog down the engine.
EDIT: for spelling
That above will work, though it's an awful lot of code to replace given how monsters are put together by default...also be careful about setting your movement value too high, otherwise it's gonna look jerky.)

One would think that if a monster MOVES quicker at low health, it would also REACT faster too...but that's just me. :P