Fighting

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
leileilol

Fighting

Post by leileilol »

So.... brain farty time

HUD
HUD can recycle ammo_shells, ammo_nails for player 1 health/recovery, ammo_rockets, ammo_cells for player 2 health/recovery

Currentammo can be power gauge of player 1, armor can be power gauge of player 2

Items could be rounds won

BUTTONS

All the +buttons could and maybe should be used for movement and attack, standard Quake movement buttons would probably be too unreliable to act as fighter buttons

Player 2 client in hotseat somehow?

ANIMATION

No frame cycling for idle frames, framegroup those

Effects should probably be builtins for particles for less traffic

MAX_DATAGRAM could possibly be lowered with only like very, VERY few entities in the scene?

Negative scalex for direction? Draw flag for flipped direction depending on angle?

Direction relies on a .float that is either 1 or -1 and all attacks' and hitboxes' directions are multiplied by that depending which direction the character is facing (lazy hack?)

HITBOXES

Hardcoded in QC or done by frik_file loading of a character script and its animation frames for modularity?

Ignore hull collision and do all collision within traceboxes and have coded boundaries

Fixed amount of defined hitboxes (like....... 4), and no ludicrous amount of expensively produced unoptimal hitboxes (i.e. NO SKULLGIRLS HITBOXES)
i should not be here
SusanMDK

Re: Fighting

Post by SusanMDK »

Health could be a round timer?

I think I would have player healths displayed at the lower part in the bigger numbers. Maybe then the upper numbers would be some attack and defence ratings for the players?
zbang!
Supa

Re: Fighting

Post by Supa »

CONSEQUENCES
Stick your head in the oven after hearing 'IS THIS MUGEN?!11' for the billionth time.

Out of curiousity, what would be your initial approach for the command interpreter?

I've had an itch to do a 2D fighter in DP for the longest time though it's kinda sorta on the waaaaaaay back burner until I've had a chance to figure out the art problem. When I started trying to figure out the tech I settled on doing it all as a hotseat game in the CSVM with a dumb server. Given the choice of reinventing GGPO's save state rollback or CowCaster's nasty nasty frame delay, I decided I like not tearing my hair out. :x
aut viam inveniam aut faciam