Program that compiles QC and progdefs.q1 ?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
ScatterBox

Program that compiles QC and progdefs.q1 ?

Post by ScatterBox »

Hello! :D I was wondering if there was a QuakeC Compiler that compiled the QC while also generating a progdefs.q1 file (for the engine).

I need this because I started re-coding QC from scratch since I don't need a lot of Quakes original code and it was taking up a lot of unnecessary space. (500kb slimmed down to 40kb)

I did some google searches and from what I gather the original QCCompiler does this, but I couldn't get it to compile in dosbox. :? Anyone know a newer compiler that could do this for me?

Thanks for the help! :)
Spike

Re: Program that compiles QC and progdefs.q1 ?

Post by Spike »

fteqcc -progdefs
will write out a progdefs.h file
I do urge you to consider the ramifications of the change. Your engine will not be able to load vanilla/third party mods, and your mod will not work in other engines. There isn't any going back (or there is, but there's a heck of a lot of work involved and defeats the point in the exercise)...
ScatterBox

Post by ScatterBox »

Spike wrote:fteqcc -progdefs
I do urge you to consider the ramifications of the change. Your engine will not be able to load vanilla/third party mods, and your mod will not work in other engines. There isn't any going back (or there is, but there's a heck of a lot of work involved and defeats the point in the exercise)...
Honestly it's better this way since this mod is using my own custom engine built from the Quartal engine (or Kurok). Plus it's for PSP and so there really is no engine alternatives for PSP mods. :P It's also good because my mod isn't really going to be meant for other people to mod it. Thanks for your feedback! :D And the progs work great in game now. (insane speed difference)

:o
Spike

Post by Spike »

if you're not retaining compat in any way, and rewriting the gamecode from scratch, you might actually be better off ditching qc entirely. Some native oo-esque language like c++ should run faster. This would require updating the entire engine with each gamecode change however, I don't know how annoying that may / may not be with the psp.
Max_Salivan

Post by Max_Salivan »

Spike wrote:fteqcc -progdefs
i always used frikqcc for generating progdefs :lol:
I did not know about -progdefs

ScatterBox,it looks like you want to combine DQuakePlus and Quartal Engine for this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBHG3whTtU
Sorry for my english :)