Future Vs Fantasy quake mod source code?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
ratbert

Future Vs Fantasy quake mod source code?

Post by ratbert »

Old mod Future Vs Fantasy quake.

Curious was source code ever released for it?
Baker

Re: Future Vs Fantasy quake mod source code?

Post by Baker »

ratbert wrote:Old mod Future Vs Fantasy quake.

If you Google hard enough, you will find me personally indirectly trolling the mod and indirectly the mod authors for it being closed sourced with a lecture of why no one should be a fan of any closed-source work in Quake. Maybe 3 separate occasions if you are lucky. :D First a "closed source sucks". Second, a "See I told you closed source sucks." And a third: "Haha, you didn't listen to me and now you are suffering because closed-source sucks but I told you so!" thread.

Short version: No.

Less short version: Closed source works in Quake are the product of the naive and small minds because if you have something of real value to contribute, people will trust your guiding hand --- and if you don't induce this aspiration, no one will be looking for your source code anyways.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Baker wrote:
ratbert wrote:Old mod Future Vs Fantasy quake.

If you Google hard enough, you will find me personally indirectly trolling the mod and indirectly the mod authors for it being closed sourced with a lecture of why no one should be a fan of any closed-source work in Quake. Maybe 3 separate occasions if you are lucky. :D First a "closed source sucks". Second, a "See I told you closed source sucks." And a third: "Haha, you didn't listen to me and now you are suffering because closed-source sucks but I told you so!" thread.

Short version: No.

Less short version: Closed source works in Quake are the product of the naive and small minds because if you have something of real value to contribute, people will trust your guiding hand --- and if you don't induce this aspiration, no one will be looking for your source code anyways.

I just checked the FvF page. Guy got the original sources from the mod author, but don't release it to prevent "bastardized versions". Jeez... :roll:
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

Yup I have read various things on FvF.

Was curious source was ever released for real.

Yes I have used google and other resource to try find said source.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I fully agree to Baker.
It is not quite understandable, that people realease wonderful things and dont include the source.
Yes, a huge amount of work was put into some projects, and I somehow can understand some authors,
who do not want that others misuse their work, by re-releasing things with tiny modifications and claim
to be their work (wihtout crediting).
But a community never forgets "who made what", and all work is based on the gift from ID to us.
As far as I know also Quoth source is not available, but I might be wrong...

A similar thing is:
Mappers, who realese their work with .map file included.
(I am not sure if .map is the uncompiled "source" file of .bsp. But I think you understand what I mean.)
Some great maps also have a modified progs.dat (usualy without source too)

So people who want to do similar things, need to re-invent the whell everytime...
But luckily we have inside3d, and all the helping people to support others.
ratbert

Post by ratbert »

Actuallly quoth full source source I do not think was ever released fully.
There are bits and pieces released in other mods like Lost Chapters which source code for that was released.
I am thinking a couple other mods that were released with source just don't come to mind right now that
had bits and pieces of quoth code in them.

Yea I read through some notes/history over on fvfonline.com and something triggered in back of my mind
that I've have seen source code kind somewhere.

So went looking through my quake mods/archives that I have and found something "Future versus Fantasy 4.2" release?
Source in that archive has to be a decompiled version with frikdec.exe because bunch lot of the source files have frik___.qc in the file names.

Something to look through I guess.