removing body parts when shot

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
hogsy

Re: removing body parts when shot

Post by hogsy »

Kids will be kids.
sniperz227

Post by sniperz227 »

DukeInstinct wrote:
thommoboy wrote:oh and no i didnt use your crappy always crashing adding weapons code XD
How would you know it "crashes" if you supposedly didn't use it? Mhmm, sour about that copy and pasted code crashing on you because you probably put it in the wrong place.

Maybe you shouldn't be asking for other people's help if you're going to insult the very thing you want.
exactly why Duke's a good coder cause his logical side is good i didn't even think about that duke but thanks for pointing it out and np Ghost_Fang
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

If you cant add weapons by yourself you should quit the quakemodding scene.
Adding new weapons is one of the easiest things in qc.
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

thommoboy wrote:oh and no i didnt use your crappy always crashing adding weapons code XD
I have been modding and making games for a long time; longer than you have been alive probably. I am going to offer you a small piece of advice; you can take it or leave it. Stop posting until you have a well thought out question. By well thought out I mean:

1) You have a realistic goal already. It doesn't have to be written down, but you should have a goal, and a plan to get there. It should not be to make the bestest game ever; That is not a goal for a simple question.
2) You have already made use of the search function on the boards, google, etc.. If you didn't take a few hours on this, you didn't try. Be patient, read, experiment. This is why you are upsetting all of these very helpful people.
3) When you ask your question, be specific, be concise. Explain what you are trying to achieve, and what you have already tried, and how it failed.

Once you have thought out your question, ask it. When no one responds in the first minute, relax. When no one responds in the first week, bump your post with a polite "Any ideas? Can I provide any more information?".

When someone responds and its not what you expected, take what they provide anyway, and with grace. They might not give you a solution, but they might give you a hint.

Don't approach anything as "Will someone do this for me." If you are not willing to learn, why should anyone do anything for you? Nobody is going to help someone too lazy to learn.

Finally, don't insult anyone; especially the people that may be willing to help you.

If you can't do this, then do not waste your time posting to begin with.
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

Ghost_Fang wrote:
thommoboy wrote: oh and no i didnt use your crappy always crashing adding weapons code XD
well if I make 2 assumptions, 1.You used the weapons.qc in its entirety from him, 2. You are using kurok psp engine, I can tell you that you probably didn't delete TE_EXPLOSION from anything that calls it. TE_EXPLOSION crashes kurok psp. But if thats not the case you probably did something wrong. Thanks for the compliment snipers! :D
DukeInstinct wrote:Oh yes, because we are all just dying to play your rip off of dead space and would really care about "small" details like that one.
And Duke, that made me laugh lol

im not using kurok
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

fine ill leave this forum for a while and learn properly,

and duke stop trolling my indiedb page
DukeInstinct

Post by DukeInstinct »

Stop trolling IndieDB with your page.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

hogsy wrote:Kids will be kids.
indeed. I could also be unhelpful and say a lot of discouraging, condescending words too, seems to be a popular thing among them folks born in the years of 1993-2001.

but i won't

Ace12ga is on the right track though, try learning QuakeC while offline for a week, use trial and error, understand the warnings and errors QCC throws at you, develop problem solving skills and be less dependent on others on the internet. It doesn't mean you don't have to ask help FOREVER it's just for obvious bugs one could fix by themselves.
also use stable ports to test your code on. Darkplaces can tolerate a lot if something goes wrong. Stay away from psp engines.
It might be even a good idea to head to IRC, in the #qc channel on anynet.org. You could try clicking IRC CHAT from the front page for an easy way to get there.
i should not be here
thommoboy

Post by thommoboy »

DukeInstinct wrote:Stop trolling IndieDB with your page.
no im not going to give up i dont care what you say
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

leileilol is right, I seemed to be a lot more productive while learning through trial and error, not only was I independent, but I learned much better from my mistake(s). Its very unproductive to go straight to the forums when an error occurs, ask your question(s), and wait for a response, IF one even comes your way. And its not necessarily the fact that no one wants to help you, it just may be the fact that your not asking the right questions. Asking the right questions requires you to know at least SOMETHING about the issue at hand. And you best bet it to NOT flame back at whoever may be flaming you, you cant be on bad terms with the very community your asking to help you.