DPM, framegroups, and sounds.

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Ace12GA

DPM, framegroups, and sounds.

Post by Ace12GA »

I am a 3D modeler first, coder second, mapper 3rd, and 2d guy very dead last. I have spent a lot of time over the years working with the Half Life engine, and the Unreal engine. I love the feature of the Half Life engine (gold source, source) to apply a sound call inside the model file definition. So when you define the animation smd, you specify sound calls on specific frames within that animation smd. Its really great, and allows the artist to time the sound playback, as opposed to the coder. Also attaching sprite calls, and other attachments for spawning effects, is pretty awesome too

I recently started using the DPM model format, because I literally have 100's of models for the Half Life engine, and the idea of recompiling the smd files into a dpm with little modification is just great for me; it means no change to my art path. Take that a step further with a frame group definition, and I am a happy guy from the code too. Very easy to playback animations. :D

So I have these great view weapon models, with nice reload animations.. and I have no sounds for the reload. I am toying with making a single wav file that is timed to the model animation, and contains the right sounds, however I would love to call individual sounds from code based on the frame the model is at within the frame group. Does anyone have any idea how I can grab the current model frame, while playing a sequence through a frame group? I'm not looking to modify the dpm format, just how I can find the current frame within the frame group while it is playing back.

Cheers.
leileilol

Re: DPM, framegroups, and sounds.

Post by leileilol »

Ace12g.......OH WAIT IS THIS GONNA BE SOME ACTION DARKPLACES!!!!!?

In Darkplaces you'll have to do that by csqc for local weapon sounds, and you can't get specific frames in a framegroup. It isn't exactly like a sequence like a hl smd's is unfortunately. I'd use IQMs and make them go through some hardcoded CSQC sequence and have some .think triggered sound effects. Not as elegant as HL smd sequence actions but close enough...
i should not be here
Ace12GA

Post by Ace12GA »

Well, not that I am going to release anything, but if I were to, I don't think I would attach the "Action" name to it. I am however making use of some unused AHL, AUT, and AHL2 art assets. Thanks for the tip. I am actually still trying to figure out how to handle the view model from csqc; currently it is still being handled by the server side. Any tips on passing the attack impulses to csqc to handle view models would be great.

What I have currently is vanilla Quake with 6 shiny new weapons. I modified some of the monsters, but overall, its still vanilla quake essentially. I have coded a simple hud that I am happy with, and I am hoping to do some lan testing with DM next weekend. My goal is to make a simple and fun DM game, akin to old Action Quake.

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

look in the qc. i think they do similar things with the player model in player.qc specifically the nailgun or lightning gun code. i maybe wrong , but i don't think i am. just call your sound when that frame is called in there.