Trains and Platforms

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Ghost_Fang

Trains and Platforms

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Is there anything in the QC that tells the player how to move with train and platforms etc, and can that be applied to other things such as spawned entities?
necros

Re: Trains and Platforms

Post by necros »

are you talking about when you're standing on a train, you move with it? that's handled completely by the engine.
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Yea that's what I was referring to, but isn't there something I can do in qc, a flag or something to make the engine think that the player should move with it?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Ghost_Fang wrote:Yea that's what I was referring to, but isn't there something I can do in qc, a flag or something to make the engine think that the player should move with it?
Not sure if I understand what you want. Plats and trains already move any player (any entity actually) on top, and pushes other entities and crush them when blocked. That's what MOVETYPE_PUSH is about.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Ghost_Fang

Post by Ghost_Fang »

Ah, I figured. So theres no way of doing this with SOLID_BSP without MOVETYPE_PUSH without doing a ridiculous touch/think function? I have a some gyro objects that are BSP models and MOVETYPE_TOSS and I just wanted the player to "ride" some of them.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Ghost_Fang wrote:Ah, I figured. So theres no way of doing this with SOLID_BSP without MOVETYPE_PUSH without doing a ridiculous touch/think function? I have a some gyro objects that are BSP models and MOVETYPE_TOSS and I just wanted the player to "ride" some of them.
Might try MOVETYPE_FOLLOW, which some engines support. It sticks one entity to another. The ricochet spike tutorial somewhere around here is a good example of that. I don't know how this would interact w/ gyro.