*Hits stuff* Help

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
KakesaR

*Hits stuff* Help

Post by KakesaR »

I'm probably just making a really stupid mistake and a really big fool out of myself at that, but i'm finding that there's this stupid error which seems to make no sense (to me).

I'm working on coding my first new monster and i'm using my own model, but for some reason when I try to run a level with that monster in it it always blurts out:

Error: Mod_NumForName: progs/axesoldier.mdl not found

I've checked to make sure it's spelt right and everything and it's inside "progs" in the folder of my mod, but I just can't figure out what might be causing this error.

Could anyone help?
Miles Invictus

Post by Miles Invictus »

DOS games (like Quake) can only read filenames with eight characters and a three-letter extension. Try renaming your model to "axesoldi.mdl", making appropriate changes in the code, and see if that works.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Miles Invictus wrote:DOS games (like Quake) can only read filenames with eight characters and a three-letter extension. Try renaming your model to "axesoldi.mdl", making appropriate changes in the code, and see if that works.
Quake has for the longest time not been just a DOS game. I'm fairly surprised you don't seem to know this. You must at the very least have heard of Winquake and GLQuake, and since the Quake engine source was given the GPL, a fair amount of significantly enhanced engines have come to existence. I recommend DarkPlaces, and stay as far away from Tenebrae as possible.

DarkPlaces website
I was once a Quake modder
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Just use axesol~1.mdl as a name in the code instead.
i should not be here
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Urre wrote:
Miles Invictus wrote:DOS games (like Quake) can only read filenames with eight characters and a three-letter extension. Try renaming your model to "axesoldi.mdl", making appropriate changes in the code, and see if that works.
Quake has for the longest time not been just a DOS game. I'm fairly surprised you don't seem to know this. You must at the very least have heard of Winquake and GLQuake, and since the Quake engine source was given the GPL, a fair amount of significantly enhanced engines have come to existence. I recommend DarkPlaces, and stay as far away from Tenebrae as possible.

DarkPlaces website
Hehe, don't be stupid Urre, ever considered the chance that he *is* using DOSQuake? :P
KakesaR

Post by KakesaR »

Hahah, yeah, i'm still using DOS Quake :P
I do have WinQuake on CD somewhere, but i'm lazy and for now i'm happy just using the DOS version. I have DarkPlaces aswell, but it tends to be a little choppy on my computer (it's playable, but once again, i'm happier for now just using DOS Quake).

I renamed the model file, and it's working. Thanks heaps.

Oh, and might I add that i'm shocked; you're the first literate programmers i've ever met. Congratulations.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I'm sorry Urre, I did not mean to call you stupid. I love you and I think you are very beautiful.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

plus Dosquake has the holy -sspeed parameter :D
i should not be here
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

KakesaR, have you tried standard GLQuake? I think you'll find it a marvellous improvement over dosquake, and your system should be able to handle it.
Tei

Post by Tei »

textures on accelerated engines looks horrible because the use of smoothing.

you can return the Sharp! look of sofware more with a console command:

gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST

Other types (ignore the code mess):

{"GL_NEAREST", GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST},
{"GL_LINEAR", GL_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR},
{"GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST", GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST},
{"GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST", GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST, GL_LINEAR},
{"GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR", GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR, GL_NEAREST},
{"GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR", GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, GL_LINEAR}
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

They'll still look bad, because they're also resampled down to native 3dfx tex resolution (256x256).
i should not be here
Urre

Post by Urre »

I know you hate me Sajt. Now go to your room. No Qookies for you.
I was once a Quake modder
KakesaR

Post by KakesaR »

I thought that GL was something that referred to, or something to do with, certain video cards? (Assuming that i'm wrong, I was under the impression that it bore some link to Voodoo cards or something..)
Spike

Post by Spike »

GL is an abreviation for OpenGL which is the industry standard 3d interface.

Basically, if you've got a mainstream, worthwhile 3d card, it'll support OpenGL in windows.

3dfx supplied an opengl minidriver, which was then distributed with all the glquakes from the guys at ID. This confused a lot of users. If you do not have a voodoo card, you do not install opengl32.dll. However, glquake will still work for you if you have any other sort of 3d card.

Voodoo cards were the only real option at the time, for 3d cards, so we can't really blame them too much.

OpenGL is the industry standard still, so will work with any worthwhile card. Yeah, I know I said that before, but I thought I'd emphase it.
If your card just happens to be one of the truly dire cards which does not support opengl, complain at the manufacturer. Hound them. Spam them. Then give up, get a decent card, and boycot them and forever ruin thier reputation... A 3d card that does not support opengl is pointless.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I have DarkPlaces aswell, but it tends to be a little choppy on my computer (it's playable, but once again, i'm happier for now just using DOS Quake).
If Darkplaces works on your PC at all then you definately have a card which can handle GLQuake.