full screen menu

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
ajay

full screen menu

Post by ajay »

Is there a non-engine way of displaying a full-screen menu, so that one you pause the game you get a full screen still image.??
It's not important, but would be nice.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Yes, I'm considering doing that with the Conquest menus, eventually...
I'm going to use entities that are .drawonlytoclient (an engine value to cut on network traffic) for the graphics. Unfortunately that still creates lots of entities, and you need some way to know what the player's screen size is...
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Wazat wrote:and you need some way to know what the player's screen size is...
erm... why?

Ajay, have you tried playing with the scr_centertime cvar? Okay, it's not conveinient, but should work with any engine, and if given a large enough value will be effectivly permanent over pauses.
Supa

Post by Supa »

Wazat wrote:Yes, I'm considering doing that with the Conquest menus, eventually...
I'm going to use entities that are .drawonlytoclient (an engine value to cut on network traffic) for the graphics. Unfortunately that still creates lots of entities, and you need some way to know what the player's screen size is...
Err, you should be using .viewmodeltoclient instead. You'll have to play with the origin a bit to get it to look right, but it'll work far better overall. .drawonlytoclient would result in your menu not angling properly when the player looks up and down, and wouldn't scale with the player's resolution like .viewmodeltoclient does.
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Thanks, Supa!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

self.weaponmodel

use it :D
i should not be here
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

But self.weaponmodel can only have one model there. I'm going to need many entities working together to create the graphical menu.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Why not have cursor movement frames and such? i.e. weaponframe 4 points to choice 4 on the weaponmodel menu model, etc.....

I know it's a bit hacky but it's visual at least, and if lighting's a problem, you could use _luma.tga's :P
i should not be here
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I have a graphical menu for did2, with an entity for each button using sprite TGAs, but as its an overhead view I dont have to worry about aligning them when you more your view.