"Gliding" view - how to stop

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Alex

"Gliding" view - how to stop

Post by Alex »

Hey guys,
So I posted earlier (Help with Dead Zone style aiming) with a problem I had, thought I had it worked out, but not quite.

I need the player view to remain stationary while being able to move the cursor/crosshairs. I was pointed towards cl_prydoncursor in Darkplaces, which worked great, except for one bug: I'm not using a conventional mouse.

When using a normal mouse the cursor in this mode "goes" to where you point. The problem is that I'm not using a normal mouse, I'm experimenting between using a wii remote or a laser pointer (and using laser tracking software with a webcam). When I use either of these as my mouse the in game cursor "glides".

What I mean is that if my pointing isn't completely centered, the view drifts towards whichever direction I'm pointing. I can't point to the right and have the cursor move to the right and stop. Pointing to the right means I'll continually keep spinning right.

In Windows my improv mouse works just as I want it to. I point halfway across the screen and the cursor moves half way across the screen and stops. In dark places, it just keeps going, gliding.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions that might help? I've been going nuts here. Is this something I can modify in QC with the Prydon cursor vectors (ie. .vector cursor_screen or .vector cursor_trace_endpos)? Or is this going to have to be an engine modding thing?

I'd like if at all possible to stay away from engine modding for the time being as I'm not familiar with it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Alex