Upcomming modding competition

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
DarkSnow

Upcomming modding competition

Post by DarkSnow »

Hi gang :)

I want to check up on how the interest is to participate in a Quake1 QC modding competition. The competition is planed to be held about 2 weeks (speedmodding) and a specific theme will be announced.

The rules will be:
* To upload the mod within the time limmit
* Souce-code must be included
* Everything in the mod must be created by yourself (useage of qc tutorials will be allowed)

Also i have recived confirmation from a "yet to be announced" company that they are willing to sponsor the competition with 3 fullversion games, one expension, sourcecode for one of the games and "loads of extra levels, mods, skins" etc.

anybody interested? Any comments/suggestions?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Well, I wish Speedmodding or Turtlemodding would kick up back again...i had some nice ideas
i should not be here
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

CheapAlert wrote:Well, I wish Speedmodding or Turtlemodding would kick up back again...i had some nice ideas
Well, is this not a proposal for it? :P
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

A few concerns:
* Souce-code must be included
Will the source code be used for evile / moneymaking by the "yet to be annnounced" company?

I remember way back there that Trainwreck stole some stuff from somebody, and didn't release the code like they were required to, or some such. Since many of us code QC for the pure joy of it, it really sours things when somebody comes along, and takes your pride and joy and steals it for their own monetary gain without any credit or anything back to you.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not accusing anybody of anything, I just want to get everything out in the open beforehand. I do understand that the source would be required to verify that you really did make the new code bits yourself.
* Everything in the mod must be created by yourself (useage of qc tutorials will be allowed)
This needs to be better defined.

1. Will we be required to create our own codebase, or will the basic iD qc source be used?

2. Models. This one here is a real event killer in and of itself. Will we be able to use models we haven't made ourselves? (player models, etc.) And if we create new models from bits and pieces of other models will they also be allowed?

3. Maps. This is another event killer, for the same reasons mentioned in 2.
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:A few concerns:
Will the source code be used for evile / moneymaking by the "yet to be annnounced" company?

I remember way back there that Trainwreck stole some stuff from somebody, and didn't release the code like they were required to, or some such. Since many of us code QC for the pure joy of it, it really sours things when somebody comes along, and takes your pride and joy and steals it for their own monetary gain without any credit or anything back to you.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not accusing anybody of anything, I just want to get everything out in the open beforehand. I do understand that the source would be required to verify that you really did make the new code bits yourself.
I understand you fully. The "unanounced company" is not evil at all. They are About 4-5 people developing and selling games, and they are using what they call "open door policy". They reply all mail personaly themselfs. Your sources will be safe, and by entering the competition released by the terms of GPL - partialy for evaluation and partialy for education. All mods entered for the competition will be publicly avaiable (with full source).

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:This needs to be better defined.

1. Will we be required to create our own codebase, or will the basic iD qc source be used?

2. Models. This one here is a real event killer in and of itself. Will we be able to use models we haven't made ourselves? (player models, etc.) And if we create new models from bits and pieces of other models will they also be allowed?

3. Maps. This is another event killer, for the same reasons mentioned in 2.
1, You may >only< use id's codebase 1.06 and the project must be created from the clean version of it. You may not use any pre-written codebase from any other mod.

2. You may use models/sounds that are avaiable later on the website to include in the mod. Nothing else.

3. You may - and it will give some bonus points if you do - create a "small" low-poly single-player map using textures from NQ to present your mod. Up to 4-5 of these maps are acceptable. It is not required to be perfect or superb looking but its a plus.

Hope this answers a few questions :) The rules may look different when it is actualy time for the contest. Right now i am doing research on about how many would be interested in this type of competition :)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Cool, that makes things a lot more clear. :D

Personally, I'd like to see what would come out of such a competition. :)
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Cool, that makes things a lot more clear. :D

Personally, I'd like to see what would come out of such a competition. :)
That is the beauty of it :) People can realy be original sometimes :)

But atm i want to know about how many would follow on this type of competition. Anyone directly interested?
Harb

Post by Harb »

If DarkSnow wants to run this one, I can offer hosting on the SpeedMods site I ran earlier in the year.

Cheapy: I've been planning the TurtleModding even I mentioned before... was intending to start it in a week or so.
><)))'>
DarkSnow

Re: .

Post by DarkSnow »

Harb wrote:If DarkSnow wants to run this one, I can offer hosting on the SpeedMods site I ran earlier in the year.

Cheapy: I've been planning the TurtleModding even I mentioned before... was intending to start it in a week or so.
Oops :oops: I did not intend to invade your competition plans, sorry. Go ahead with your competiton :)

I am not planing to host the competition right away, i just sortof gather information on about how many people that have interest in participating in the above mentioned so i can make propper arangements when it is time. -I am not a evil person ;)

So far only one has said he would maybe (unsure) go for it.. Is the interest realy that low?
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Try asking around on IRC. It's #qc on irc.gamesurge.net

I might be willing to participate, though it's entirely dependant on free time, and whatnot.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

This sounds interesting! I hope I have some cool ideas for the theme. Look'n forward to it.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Supa

Post by Supa »

I might join in. I haven't done modding work in a while so it'd be a nice challenge.

One question, will entries have to work with stock quake? ie can we use extensions from other engines that might limit an entry to a specific entry?
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

Supa wrote:I might join in. I haven't done modding work in a while so it'd be a nice challenge.
Its "free for all" so why not? :)
Supa wrote:One question, will entries have to work with stock quake? ie can we use extensions from other engines that might limit an entry to a specific entry?
Well, i have not made up my mind yet if the contest will be engine specific or if it would be up to the modder to user whatever extensions he would like. I think that all extensions will be allowed, but coding that does not work with "vanilla" glq1 will not be graded for the competition...

Since the engine can turn around the whole feeling of the mod in hand, it would be unfair for people creating generaly cool graphical stuff in tenebrae/darkplaces while others focus more on practical stuff.. So to be as fair as i possibly can, i think it will be limmited to glquake only. If the code contains extensions it will be ignored by the people rating it but amazed by the people later downloading it ;)

If anybody have any better idea, come forth :)

Wazat wrote:This sounds interesting! I hope I have some cool ideas for the theme. Look'n forward to it.
Glad to have you onboard :)

I will later announce about a week before the competitions starts the final rules, the website, the price and the "mystery company" behind the sponsoring etc.. So stay sharp and send as much comments/suggestions as you can think of :)
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

I'll probably have a go if I'm around.

Another question... Are we allowed to work in groups?
Apathy Now!
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

MauveBib wrote:I'll probably have a go if I'm around.
Another question... Are we allowed to work in groups?
Well, you may ask for help to solve problems you cant handle by yourself but each submitted work will be credited to a single person and only that person will recive a prize if winning the competition.

So, you are required to do most things yourself - but may ask for help by a third party if you have to. Should it turn out that large portions of code are created by a third person - that sumbision will be warned and void until it has meet the demands of the more detailed competition rules when its time for kickoff.

Offcourse, its sometimes very hard to know if major changes are made of the contestant or somebody else so i the persons evaluating the submissions will mostly hold you by the word that you are the original author.

If this competition will have enough participants and enogh people would like to continue these types of events, there will in the future be competitions where you may work in teams.