spawn a monster

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
ajay

spawn a monster

Post by ajay »

I'd like to spawn a monster, in front of the player, I'm dumb, thick and stoopid.

Please can someone completely, and with no other details that what's above, write the neccessary code.

Or failing that politley push me vaguely in the right direction.

I blame me age, me long work hours and well, me idiocy.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

That which you seek lies within the forest of Hipnotic Scourges. Once, there, see thee the mysteries buried within HIPSPAWN.QC. From there, take what you find, and apply it to the knowledge of thine ID created weapon, W_FireAxe.
DarkSnow

Post by DarkSnow »

Or.. Simply combine some relevant spawning stuff from weapons.qc - like spawning a rocket when firing rocketlauncher etc.

Then give it all the ai stuff as th_pain, th_stand as you find in the respective monster's qc file under its spawning void "monster_army()" etc.

I am not 100% sure, but atleast you are pushed in a direction :)
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

You need to move the precache stuff to another place, like in weapons.qc (at the top) or world.qc
#EOP
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Which is the beauty of the Hipnotic method. Namely, you don't have to redefine yet another monster spawn, and you don't clog up the global precache with stuff you might or might not use. Plus, you can write a single function to spawn just about any monster you've previously made spawn functions for, for a fraction of the code size needed if you did it the other way. :wink:
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hmmm very nice....
I like the random monster spawning from the dpmod, it's very good too
#EOP
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Archmage also has summoning monsters. I *stole* -- erhem, borrowed/ported/(insert more benign verb here) the code into Wazat mod all those years ago.

I'll have to take a look at the Hipnotic code...
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
andy

Post by andy »

hi i'm new to quake modding and quake C, I am creating my own single player bot called buddy, and I've all but done it but i just don't know how to make the bot spawn next to you or infront of you, all i can seem to do is get him at the spawn point which sucks. Anybody care to help a newbie?
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

makevectors (self.v_angle_y * '0 1 0');
org = self.origin + v_forward * '0 0 1';

After you have the org, you can simple setorigin(bot,org), but it would be better to use some sort of code that tests if that location is actually available (a walkmove(0,0) might work on this... make sure the bot is linked into the world with a setsize before this). If it isn't available you can either print a message like 'no room!' or have some code that tries to relocate the bot...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.