SForever QC Code Aid

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
jian

SForever QC Code Aid

Post by jian »

SeasonsForever ( http://www.seasonsforever.com/ - Moddb profile http://mods.moddb.com/1807/ ) is asking help from any QC coder who might want to help us out create our Game.

We are using the DarkPlaces engine which is a engine mod of quake 1.

We also have the animations very close finished imported from quake 3. Thanks Vortex for that.

What we need is a talented QC coder who can be fairly dedicated to this Game, work will start straight away as we have practically everything done. HUD and Menu's are being done already by another coder.
But the basics of the game are still needed.

These involve:
Snowball Creation Entity for maps
Range and Damage calculations
Snowball creation
Hype Special System
Possible NPC code

These can be explained more if needed.

here are a few pictures.
http://www.seasonsforever.com/images/misc/sfdm217.jpg
http://www.seasonsforever.com/images/misc/sfdm218.jpg
http://www.seasonsforever.com/images/media/artChars.jpg
http://www.seasonsforever.com/images/media/SFchars.jpg

Thanks
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Haha! This mod looks awesome!

I don't even have enough time for my own mods, but I do believe you've come to the right place for QC coders. There's bound to be someone here who will want to get involved.

Regarding the tasks that need to be done:
An entity that creates snowballs for throwing would not be hard at all.
Range and damage calculations aren't hard either. You can set that up with the velocity of the snowball on impact, or various other systems.
Snowball creation?
Explain the Hype Special System.
NPC code isn't my cup of tea, but there are other people here who have some good experience in the area.

BTW, this would be an excellent mod to show off for QExpo this Summer.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
jian

Post by jian »

Wazat wrote:Haha! This mod looks awesome!

I don't even have enough time for my own mods, but I do believe you've come to the right place for QC coders. There's bound to be someone here who will want to get involved.

Regarding the tasks that need to be done:
An entity that creates snowballs for throwing would not be hard at all.
Range and damage calculations aren't hard either. You can set that up with the velocity of the snowball on impact, or various other systems.
Snowball creation?
Explain the Hype Special System.
NPC code isn't my cup of tea, but there are other people here who have some good experience in the area.

BTW, this would be an excellent mod to show off for QExpo this Summer.
Snowball creation was like making sure the animations work well when you press the right mouse button to create a snowball and making sure they keep in order as you can pick up 4 snowballs *some of which MAY be a pissball*
as you can see the HUD here

The big one is the snowball in use and will be thrown next, and the rest are to come 2nd and 3rd etc.

The Hype System is getting a system built so the hype bar can fill up *up to 100/full*, Hype will be generated while your moving around and you get extra hype points for hitting/fraggin someone, once the bar is full, you can do 1 of 5 hype specials.
Which are:

Snowwall - Pull a defense snowwall out of the floor to protect you from oncoming attacks
Curveball - A homing snowball attack, quite powerful
FastSpeed - Slow everyone down while you move almost normally
Multishot - Throw 5 of the same snowball at the enemy
Snowman - Pull a snowman from the floor that chases the closest opponent, if he's close enough he'll grab onto your back. He will blow up 10seconds after him being summoned.

If you need more explaination on this, i can easily give it.

I'd be happy to show this game off anywhere. We are planning to get roughly 900+ people from gamesurge to come into our Gamesurge room #SForever with an announcement the closer we get to releasing the game.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

this mod's awesome. I praise you for coming here. I'm a little rusty on my QC at the moment though, being that I haven't coded for the better part of a year... so I can't say I'd help. But this is awesome.
jian

Post by jian »

Error wrote:this mod's awesome. I praise you for coming here. I'm a little rusty on my QC at the moment though, being that I haven't coded for the better part of a year... so I can't say I'd help. But this is awesome.
thanks error, turns out I hear its mostly C now, vortex who coded our animations from q3 into darkplaces has done something to create it mostly C coded not QC.

:o
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Oh. :( I was going to say, I know how to do all of that stuff in QC very easily, but I know nothing about the engine code or how to get things working outside of the QC. I can code in C++, but I don't know how the non-QC code is structured so I'd be quite lost. :|

Still, good luck to you! I'm adding this to my mod watch.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
jian

Post by jian »

Wazat wrote:Oh. :( I was going to say, I know how to do all of that stuff in QC very easily, but I know nothing about the engine code or how to get things working outside of the QC. I can code in C++, but I don't know how the non-QC code is structured so I'd be quite lost. :|

Still, good luck to you! I'm adding this to my mod watch.
thanks for the support guys, ETA for this Game... 4WEEKS

hopefully, if you wish to support us, #sforever at gamesurge.net

THANKS AGAIN!
Kools

Post by Kools »

So, have you found a coder then? This project looks pretty darn amazing, I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.
You're actually the first guy to come in looking for help with a project actually mostly finished, you earn extra credit for that in my book.
Forum lurker
Urre

Post by Urre »

/me agrees with Kools

Seems someone has listened to the people who have tried and fallen... When a mod is 90-95 % done in some aspect, then hunt for the extra work needed.
I was once a Quake modder
jian

Post by jian »

Urre wrote:/me agrees with Kools

Seems someone has listened to the people who have tried and fallen... When a mod is 90-95 % done in some aspect, then hunt for the extra work needed.
thanks guys, yes we have a coder working on Winter atm, we also have a possible 2 C coders who are going to work on getting our sexy menu's working.

Also we have another coder who has started on Summer Edition *which will probably come out shortly after winter is finished*

Again thanks for support