[FTEQW][WIP] craFTEr - realtime game editor for FTE

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
Julius

Re: [FTEQW][WIP] Crafter - realtime game editor for FTE

Post by Julius »

This QC script engine for map event coding could be also cool to have in this editor:
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5121
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks Julius, it seems fun. Personally I've no clue about how to add scripting to crafter. Infact I probably won't do it. It could be possible to "choose" which action (or behaviour if you prefer) to link to map entities, but scripts would be created in qc earlier. Anyway a solution like this would be cool
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

I'm about to release first version of Crafter and it has been quite a code overhaul. I re-created it from scratch except some parts but now, after some days of thinking, I changed release license from CC0 to MIT. After Googled A LOT, I read everywhere (for example here, here and on CC pages here) that Creative Commons Public Domain license wasn't created for software and it has many fallpits on liability and code re-use. Plus is not compatible with other software licenses.

Someone would be pissed off by this? Otherwise there's unlicensed method but I personally don't like it. No mention about GPLish family..ugh..

I know what most of you could think right now: "All these thoughts for just a piece of junk. Just release it or shut up!" . Well, probably.. but from my point of view is crearly different. I'd like to give the community a bundle of code+assets as free as possible, to use in conjunction with other softwares/assets and, last but not least, to protect my aXX (which, from my point of view, it's not trivial!)

Comments or suggestions are welcome, as always
Julius

Post by Julius »

Sorry, just saw this now. MIT license is great and should not really effect anyone, in fact most of us work with GPLed code bases anyways, so as long as it is compatible with that ;) Please not unlicensed!

So where can I download this?
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks for the suggestion, Julius. Yeah, I think I'll move in the MIT direction, not unlicensed. Release code not ready yet, stay tuned
Julius

Post by Julius »

Staying tuned, but a soft release with a github repo somewhere really can't hurt ;)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

really no idea how to use github. Plus no time to learn something new, actually
Julius

Post by Julius »

Well, using Github with git is of course the preferred option, but it is not mandatory. You can just drag and drop the files into your browser window and it will upload it to your github repository. Nothing new to learn really :p
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

do not use git plz
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nahuel wrote:do not use git plz
Why ? I've been using github to share one of my projects with a beta tester and it's been satisfatory (besides several other real life projects). I agree that is not as simple as a big .zip file, but at the same time can be more efficient for medium and big projects. Can you point to a good reason to not adopt it ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Julius

Post by Julius »

Well if it is about github not being FOSS, there is also gitlab which is a great service too.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Still no news of the source code release? :p
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Just so you know.. I'm in vacation with a stupid old notebook which doesn't even want to render glsl shaders (probably I should lower shaders version a little bit but probably fte wouldn't understand some istructions like skel and stuff.. oh well). Now, if you really want to test something unplayable with a lots of acclaimed features which will not work.. ok, I'll release it in these days. Of course forget about all the shiny new models I should add, because, without my big computer, there's no way I can handle that amount of detail in modeling. In opposite case, just be patient some month and I'll try to give you a tool that *AT LEAST* it could be considered as a funny alternative to NetRadiant (if you want to create q3 playable maps right now Radiant is the only choice I guess).

Right now my biggest issues are:
[*]previewed model can't stand in front of 2d screen. It always wanders around, and I tried everything, viewmodels, 3d to 2d conversion with project() funcs, everything. Spike did something cool for quake quad damage in pure csqc test but Spike's code it's extremely difficult to understand. It used a lot CSQC_Update View nested code without functions which frankly didn't let me understand what I'm reading. I guess I'll go for the lame way and put previewed model on a stupid funny location like -90000000 - 90000000 0 and use scissor test to do a second renderer / camera to render only that object. The great thing about scissor test is that you can put that window on screen wherever you want. Sure, mouse coordinates will f**k up when entered that area but, come on, I'm not a real programmer! :neutral:
[*]I still didn't figure out how to ungroup models. Probably it's just a matter of 1 day of thinking, but, I have to find the time to think!
[*]Still didn't add the delete entity function (REALLY?!). That's trivial, I know, but this get you the picture of how unfinished this project is
[*]Logic. This is an important one. I tried many many times to think of a logic / behaviour system that will help level designer to give life to entities but I failed miserably right now. So, probably for the first release, crafter will be a stupid level editor. Yeah, I know, it's sad, but I prefer to disappoint people instead of completely lose the tiny margin of mental sanity that remains
[*]Lighting f**ks in FTE. But this is not my fault. I'd like to add at least deferred shaders to compensate this important missing feature but, again, Spike should add at least some WORKING examples of deferred shaders (just a scene with some models with shaders attached and a light, that's it)
[*]BSP collisions + modern physics. This is the top roof of my frustration. FTE needs desperately a new physics builtin engine and a modern collision system. I've some ideas to recreate it in quakec (at least models based collision) but I guess it's beyond my limits and, honestly, I lost a lot of interest in chasing butterflies so...

This is the point, right now, but since you Julius seem the only interested in the project (probably even more than me right now) I'll try to release it this night and have fun
Spike

Post by Spike »

model previews (like in menusys) are actually kinda simple...

Code: Select all

clearscene(); //resets everything.
setviewprop(VF_MIN, 'top left of your preview box');
setviewprop(VF_SIZE, 'the size you want it');
setviewprop(VF_DRAWWORLD, FALSE); //don't draw the world junk. This scene is for a single model.
setviewprop(VF_ORIGIN, ...);
setviewprop(VF_ANGLES, ...);
setviewprop(VF_USEPERSPECTIVE, TRUE); //or false, if you want an isometric style view, just remember fov is weird.
setviewprop(VF_AFOV, 90); //don't break if the user has a screwed fov set.
addentity(yourentitythatyouwanttodraw); //add our single entity. do NOT call addentities because that'll probably just add everything. with this you can give it a drawmask of 0 and it won't appear in your other scenes. obviously you'll want it non-solid too.
renderscene();
really, just think of renderscene as a glorified drawpic. You have a whole load of scene state that needs setting up first, but the final renderscene call simply draws a 'picture'.
this way you have full control over model positions, fov, etc so there's no unexpected perspective skewing. depth is cleared for each renderscene so it won't intersect your normal game scene. just put your model at 0 0 0 or whatever, put your camera off centre but pointing to it, job done pretty much. you can still use skeletal objects etc and custom skins etc.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks Spike for the example code, when I said "scissor test" I meant the whole renderscene part + drawsetcliparea() & drawresetcliparea() to clip stuff. Infact it works quite good, I don't like the idea to "really place" the object on ground. I'll have to exclude it on "real" renderscene call but, whatever