Untitled RPG Project

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Untitled RPG Project

Post by Error »

Some progress on a untitled Online Action RPG I'm making... (slow but steady)

:!: Some work on a PvP Arena area. WIP

:!: "Finished" PvP Arena area.
toneddu2000

Re: Untitled RPG Project

Post by toneddu2000 »

hi Error! Character is cute! Will you upload some video of gameplay soon?
What does it mean PvP? And what does it mean the text in hud "Create or load pin"?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

1) PvP = player versus player (the opposite being PvE or player versus enemy).
2) I suppose it's some kind of identification screen where you enter a PIN (Personnal Identification Number) in order to load a character.

Back in the 2000's when I was working on a Quake RPG project with some friends (first called, huh, QuakeRPG and later renamed to Realms of Quake) we were toying with a custom NQ engine that would "persist" player profiles and we had a similar login screen (engine-side, not QuakeC). I shrug just remembering the silly modifications we slapped in the code (rotating console anyone ?) and the crappy hacks I inflicted to Tomaz' CleanSrc to support our project.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

frag.machine wrote:1) PvP = player versus player (the opposite being PvE or player versus enemy).
2) I suppose it's some kind of identification screen where you enter a PIN (Personnal Identification Number) in order to load a character.

Back in the 2000's when I was working on a Quake RPG project with some friends (first called, huh, QuakeRPG and later renamed to Realms of Quake) we were toying with a custom NQ engine that would "persist" player profiles and we had a similar login screen (engine-side, not QuakeC). I shrug just remembering the silly modifications we slapped in the code (rotating console anyone ?) and the crappy hacks I inflicted to Tomaz' CleanSrc to support our project.
EDIT: BTW, my project was unrrelated to Error's same name mod.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah, ok. thanks frag.machine for the clarification
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

frag.machine nailed it. The PvP arena will be made bigger after I did some testing and found it too small. The pin system is to log in to a persistent character. It's an action adventure online rpg similar to Zelda. I'm making it for family/friends. Cute and easy to play but has some depth for hardcore players.

My mod I called "Realms of Quake" is probably officially dead. So the name is all yours again. I don't have the time anymore for something that insane.

This is a lot more manageable for one person to create though I may need the communities assistance sometime soon. It's a very model heavy game. Not so bad on the animation level.

Really the main thing I need are 16-bit inspired textures like in the image above. I'm having a hell of a time finding town and building related textures that fit the theme. Any help there would be great. Texture sizes are currently 64x64.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

So, equipment for the game has been determined.

Hats - These items offer new visuals for players to differentiate themselves from others as well as harness a hat-specific ability to help create more diverse play-styles.

Class Artifacts - These bestow 2 core abilities for a given class when equipped. They can also be swapped in and out at will (while not in combat) to change classes on the fly.

Weapons - Melee, ranged, magic. The choice is yours.

First hat for the game. Warrior's Spiked Helmet with hat ability of charge.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

will you be using csqc in this?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

ceriux : I plan on having minor csqc. Just simple HUD drawing, nothing fancy.

On a side note, no more animating hats. I've completely re-written my visual weapons framer to work with hats and hopefully be more accurate with animating.

Hermes Helmet in the animating mod:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Lovely! I like very much the day-to-day update! Keep it up if you can and if you have time!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I'm trying to keep it all fresh and going. This is a project for my kids first, before everyone else. Updates happen when I'm off of work with nothing to do. Sometimes late night after work.

Nothing about this game will be complicated to make. It's all code I've made before, just repurposed. I'm aiming for a game that you can play with your kids or with some good friends. Fun for all ages.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

A little work on the town:

Texture improvements will come.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Cool... What engines are you targeting ?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

Darkplaces. It's my engine of choice.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »