[Storm Engine 2][dev] Phaeton

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
motorsep

[Storm Engine 2][dev] Phaeton

Post by motorsep »

At last, Storm Engine 2 came to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r-SOxXFM3c

and the changelog: www.kot-in-action.com/blog_new.html

P.S. If you watch the moment where Credits roll, you can see who was working on the engine ;)
goldenboy

Re: [Storm Engine 2][dev] Phaeton

Post by goldenboy »

Seems like a nice idtech4 engine, good work folks.

Good luck with the game motorsep.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Thanks!

It's idTech 4 + idTech 5 actually.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Got a source repository somewhere? Is is multiplatform, i.e. Linux support?
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Just wondering, is there any reason why games like to use the flash interfaces?
I don't have anything against Flash (I used to use it myself quite happily), just wonder why that format. Seems like a fairly big entry barrier when using a proprietary third party tech.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Adobe/Autodesk industry gridlock.
i should not be here
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Julius wrote:Got a source repository somewhere? Is is multiplatform, i.e. Linux support?
Yeah, somewhere private for now :)

Windows/Linux for now, OSX shouldn't be too hard to add, SteamOS perhaps even easier.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Spiney wrote:Just wondering, is there any reason why games like to use the flash interfaces?
I don't have anything against Flash (I used to use it myself quite happily), just wonder why that format. Seems like a fairly big entry barrier when using a proprietary third party tech.
Because having Flash is infinitely better than having no Flash. It also varies across the board - current implementation in the engine is proprietary to ID, while many (most?) other engine use Scaleform. That being said, there is no extra 3rd party libs involved with Storm Engine 2. It's all built-in, cross-platform.

Oh, and the reason Flash GUI is good, is that it has best animation capabilities, standardized code in the form of AS2 or C++ (Actionscript 2, but I am sure it's not that hard to upgrade to AS3 if needed) and nice tools to author the GUI. The only "downside" is that Flash isn't free (unless you happen to own one of those Flash books that come with Flash MX2004 CD, which now has product key available somewhere on Adobe's site).

In other words, if you don't know AS2 or Flash or don't own Flash and don't care to buy it, the world is full of Flash artists/programmers who can work on the menus and such.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Made an entry on IndieDb for our engine http://www.indiedb.com/engines/storm-en ... king-title in preparation to opening a page for my game (since I need to specify what engine it uses) :)

Also here is a new dev video showing complex interactive surfaces (in-game GUIs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r5xEpS7zYw

We have been battling with performance optimization of the engine and at the end it turns out to be driver's fault. Nvidia acknowledged that with latest whql driver performing _much_ better than the previous one. AMD doesn't seem to give a damn, so as it stands now, anything below R9 model will not be officially supported (performance on R9 seems to be good, but on HD7850, for example, it's abysmal).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

All the best, man, seriously, all the best! The features list is huge! I'm particularly interested in new "Powerful and flexible object oriented scripting language (similar to C++ language syntax)."
Can't wait to buy it! :D
Go Kot-In-Action go!

PS: Flash GUI is awesome!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

toneddu2000 wrote:All the best, man, seriously, all the best! The features list is huge! I'm particularly interested in new "Powerful and flexible object oriented scripting language (similar to C++ language syntax)."
Can't wait to buy it! :D
Go Kot-In-Action go!

PS: Flash GUI is awesome!

Scripting language is just DoomScript with some extra functionality exposed :) You can start modding Doom 3 and by the time Phaeton comes out, you'd be able to hit the ground running with modding.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

You can start modding Doom 3 and by the time Phaeton comes out, you'd be able to hit the ground running with modding.
I'd like to, but I couldn't find any good doomscript resources site yet (I found one once with all red pages iirc but I forgot where it was!) :(
Will it be possible to control all the gamecode via DoomScript or will it still be necessary to explore rabbit's hole in C++ for advanced stuff (AI, networking, UI)?

What about the license of Phaeton engine? Will it be all GPL or id software's part GPL and Kot-In-Action's part commercial?
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

toneddu2000 wrote:
You can start modding Doom 3 and by the time Phaeton comes out, you'd be able to hit the ground running with modding.
I'd like to, but I couldn't find any good doomscript resources site yet (I found one once with all red pages iirc but I forgot where it was!) :(
Will it be possible to control all the gamecode via DoomScript or will it still be necessary to explore rabbit's hole in C++ for advanced stuff (AI, networking, UI)?

What about the license of Phaeton engine? Will it be all GPL or id software's part GPL and Kot-In-Action's part commercial?
Doom 3 has all assets in ascii format - just see how it's done, modify it and you'll figure it out. Most scripts are well commented. The core gameplay is in C++, and scrip is extension of it, forming the gameplay. Simply put it - the whole gameplay is in script. Take AI for example - navigation and obstacles avoidance are in C++, but decision making is in script. Weapons - core functionality is in C++, but each individual weapon is in script (except special weapons, which have unique behavior that is in C++).

Networking is in C++, GUI is in script (GUI Editor is there for visual part, script is to create interactions).

Engine + gamecode are GPL, scripts and everything else non-GPL (same as with Doom 3 GPL).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah ok thanks for the clarification. So we can say doomscript can use some sort of "API" which trigger low level functionalities written in C++?
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

toneddu2000 wrote:ah ok thanks for the clarification. So we can say doomscript can use some sort of "API" which trigger low level functionalities written in C++?
Not really. It's a script. API would be a description how it works.