[FTE][in production] Scout's Journey

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
toneddu2000

Re: [FTE][in production] Scout's Journey

Post by toneddu2000 »

Good luck gb! All the best. I had same problem when I switched to UDK from Darkplaces engine. I have developed a quite good knowledge of Unity and UDK platform. UE4 is too much young for me now, I'll let it "mature" a little more! :D
If you need some input just pm me. I anyway reccomend you Unity because its development learning curve is a breeze and I suggest you some extensions that could fit to your needs: PlayMaker, UFPS and ORK Framework (since, if I understood correctly, SJ will have a RPG soul). With a bunch of euros you can have a preconfigured game framework that just needs to be customized! :D
Best wishes!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

very sad news :( i was sure that Scout´s Journey was the most serious project based in quake engine. My best wishes for change of engine, you will do very well :)
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Baker

Post by Baker »

That's a shame but I read your blog and understand. :(
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Julius

Post by Julius »

Yep, support is an issue...

But before switching to a completely closed engine, have a look at Torque3D, which is pretty nice these days and fully open-source. The new Linux port works also and the outdoor level editor build right into the engine is great.
motorsep

Post by motorsep »

Julius wrote:Yep, support is an issue...

But before switching to a completely closed engine, have a look at Torque3D, which is pretty nice these days and fully open-source. The new Linux port works also and the outdoor level editor build right into the engine is great.
Being open source is an issue. Paid engines have better support because, well, people get paid to support them. In FOSS world you are at mercy of the author/active developer. Any FOSS engine is a pet project, so authors are not going to implement what you need if it goes against their vision of the engine. Also, people tend to grow out of the development. Life goes on, circumstances come around and engine might no longer be in active development.

So the best thing is to either fork a FOSS engine and do all that you need yourself (or hiring/convincing to join your team dedicated engine programmer), or go with UE4/Unity (maybe Source 2 will be decent when it's out).
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Would Blender Game Engine be an option? Blender is absolutely not a pet project.

edit: Nevermind, BGE will change, http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/ ... nd-beyond/
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

goldenboy wrote:Scout's Journey will likely no longer use a Quake engine in the future.

Wall of text version at my blog.
Sorry to hear that it wasn't working out, but sometimes thats just how things go.

Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what engine tech you settle on GB! :D