Forum

[FTEQW][WIP] Crafter - realtime game editor for FTE

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.

Moderator: InsideQC Admins

Re: [FTEQW][WIP] Crafter - realtime game editor for FTE

Postby Julius » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

This QC script engine for map event coding could be also cool to have in this editor:
https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5121
Julius

Postby toneddu2000 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks Julius, it seems fun. Personally I've no clue about how to add scripting to crafter. Infact I probably won't do it. It could be possible to "choose" which action (or behaviour if you prefer) to link to map entities, but scripts would be created in qc earlier. Anyway a solution like this would be cool
toneddu2000

Postby toneddu2000 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm about to release first version of Crafter and it has been quite a code overhaul. I re-created it from scratch except some parts but now, after some days of thinking, I changed release license from CC0 to MIT. After Googled A LOT, I read everywhere (for example here, here and on CC pages here) that Creative Commons Public Domain license wasn't created for software and it has many fallpits on liability and code re-use. Plus is not compatible with other software licenses.

Someone would be pissed off by this? Otherwise there's unlicensed method but I personally don't like it. No mention about GPLish family..ugh..

I know what most of you could think right now: "All these thoughts for just a piece of junk. Just release it or shut up!" . Well, probably.. but from my point of view is crearly different. I'd like to give the community a bundle of code+assets as free as possible, to use in conjunction with other softwares/assets and, last but not least, to protect my aXX (which, from my point of view, it's not trivial!)

Comments or suggestions are welcome, as always
toneddu2000

Postby Julius » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:41 pm

Sorry, just saw this now. MIT license is great and should not really effect anyone, in fact most of us work with GPLed code bases anyways, so as long as it is compatible with that ;) Please not unlicensed!

So where can I download this?
Julius

Postby toneddu2000 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Julius. Yeah, I think I'll move in the MIT direction, not unlicensed. Release code not ready yet, stay tuned
toneddu2000

Postby Julius » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Staying tuned, but a soft release with a github repo somewhere really can't hurt ;)
Julius

Postby toneddu2000 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:42 am

really no idea how to use github. Plus no time to learn something new, actually
toneddu2000

Postby Julius » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 am

Well, using Github with git is of course the preferred option, but it is not mandatory. You can just drag and drop the files into your browser window and it will upload it to your github repository. Nothing new to learn really :p
Julius

Postby Nahuel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:14 pm

do not use git plz
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Nahuel

Postby frag.machine » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:19 am

Nahuel wrote:do not use git plz

Why ? I've been using github to share one of my projects with a beta tester and it's been satisfatory (besides several other real life projects). I agree that is not as simple as a big .zip file, but at the same time can be more efficient for medium and big projects. Can you point to a good reason to not adopt it ?
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Postby Julius » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Well if it is about github not being FOSS, there is also gitlab which is a great service too.
Julius

Previous

Return to Project Showcase