CSQC client TO server approach

Discuss CSQC related programming.
toneddu2000

CSQC client TO server approach

Post by toneddu2000 »

Hi guys, I'm using some little spare time to continue my personal quest to understand and expose my progresses about CSQC skeletal animations
but, today, I started weapons.

And I tought: "But, what if, instead of creating weapons in SSQC, I create all weapon code in CSQC and send only the infos that other players need to know (weapon used by player in that moment, origin - angles - velocity of bullets and so on)via SSQC?"
So I started think how to project the whole thing but I couldn't find any piece of code (I read most of all cleancsqc) that switches the connection client/server.

There's a way to create an entity DIRECTLY on CSQC and then send only updates to SSQC? I usually create an entity, I use SendEntity + WriteCoord/Byte/Stuff in SSQC and readcoord/byte/stuff in CSQC but this makes my idea just difficult to realize. I'd like to make physics projectiles that react to physics body!:D

PS: I use FTEQW

Thanks in advance for any input!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
andrewj

Re: CSQC client TO server approach

Post by andrewj »

I don't think this idea can really work. Quake engines are designed around the concept of the server having the definitive game state, and the clients being mere "viewers" of a particular subset of the game state. If you want better physics, then it needs to be done in the server code (SSQC or actual C code), not in the client code.
toneddu2000

Re: CSQC client TO server approach

Post by toneddu2000 »

thanks andrewj,
mmm..I presumed that.
If you want better physics, then it needs to be done in the server code
Yes, but the problem is that some "advancing techniques" (advanced for quake engines, nowadays are just needed requirements) like compound skeletal animations and ragdolls need CSQC to work.
well, I started yesterday to do some experiments with physics (using "Normal" approach)and it works quite good. I presume that I'll go the SSQC + CSQC (only replicating) way.

Thanks andrewj, I thought that someone tried to reverse the client server architecture in some mod. My mistake
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine